How soon after your water breaks should you go to the hospital?

I get the whole waiting till your contractions are atleast 5 minutes apart (at least that's what my DR says) but what if you have broken your water? What if contractions don't start right away? How long is it safe to wait?

jjohnsct

Asked by jjohnsct at 6:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would go immediately.....i didnt get contractions soon after my water broke and about 2 hours later i was almost fully dialated having the worst contractions ever....I would go asap
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I went right after my water broke, but only because I had pretty bad contractions straight away. I believe they say that after your water breaks, you should go into labor within the next 24 hours before it becomes dangerous for the baby (risk of infections). As long as you take the proper precautions (no baths, no tampons, no sex, basically don't insert anything or allow water to get in), you should be fine to wait a little for your contractions to start. If you go right away, and you're not already having contractions, doctors tend to jump the gun on inducing you. And believe me, you want to try to avoid that if you can.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• With my second child my water started to leak. I never got a gush of water or anything. You need to contact the hospital immediately. They will want you to come in. If you don't go into labor they will start a drip in your arm to bring on contractions. Don't wait. The doctor told me I would have been risking a dry birth if I had waited.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:59 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It is the same as when you get contractions. They don't want you to go past 24hrs in labor. Because of infection. Withmy first my water broke. I didn't go in till 4 hrs later when things were getting tuff. With her I cut it close 23 1/2hrs.
    Anonymous

• A.S.A.P becuase if you don't then you are taking a chance for bacteria to get in.
    MamasAngelPie

Answer by MamasAngelPie at 7:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Once the water breaks you call the Doctor and find out what HE/SHE wants you to do.
    Anonymous

• i dont always go by that 5min apart with contractions because with my 2nd son my contractions were consistan at 12min apart and never got any closer until i was 8cm dialated...when i got the the hospital i was 6cm dialated and an hour and a half later i gave birth.
    Anonymous

• I started mild contractions pretty quick. Yet I took a shower ate something and made sure I had everything. I also relaxed for a min and took it all in (He was my first) before i actually went. They checked me in and started me on protosin and contractions got extreme pretty quick after. Decide how you feel when it happens
    JaymieZ

Answer by JaymieZ at 7:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I would wait until the contractions say it's Time, regardless of being ruptured.

(*As long as I am at term, baby is low/engaged, head-down, I have no fever, AF is normal color-odor.)

Water breaking happens prior to labor sometimes, not usually any emergency.
    Myself, I waited over a week (at term) with a heavy leak. Many others go even longer...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• go right away
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010