Can a baby wean at 10 months and be ok off of table food?

I have a very good reason to stop BF-ing, I can go formula, but the feedback I've gotten from other moms is at this age he would be fine on table foods. Any input? Oh, and thanks for the helpful non critical advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no,a child needs the nutrition of breast milk or formula til at least a year.My cousin tried this and her son stopped growing.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• stopped growing??
    Anonymous

• It should be okay to feed your baby soft foods at 10 months. If the baby is already putting things in his/her mouth, s/he is ready for soft foods along with the formula.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• yep.She's an idiot! She figured if he was trying table food,why not stop the formula all together?She was giving him kool-aid and juicy juice and expecting him to feed himself.He's 16 months now and only weighs 19 lbs! He was taken away,but he's with his paternal grandma and she's doing the same thing with him as far as feeding him.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I can see the view that nothing magical happens at 12 months to make them all of the sudden need to switch to cow milk or drop formula. I can see the point that the nutrition in formula is important up until if not beyond a year. Both sides have valid points. If you are worried about the safety of formula (IMO) children have been getting formula for many years and there is not much proof that they are any different than a breast fed baby minus the stats that stat they have healthier eating habits...(Which I wonder about) any way. Your baby has already had many of the benefits from Breast milk if you haev gone this far. Congrats! A lot of babies don't get 10 days let alone 10 months! If you do choose to go to table food make sure you are offering a wide variety of foods making sure to get enough calcium and iron. If baby is gaining well and continuing to meet milestone(which I have no doubt he would) you are fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• he needs the nutrition from the formula. Mostly table food is fine - but he needs to have some formula too
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Put him on formula - it's supposed to be the main sourse of nutrition (well, when breast isn't an option) til a baby is a year old. He should drink a quart (32 oz) of formula a day. Food isn't supposed to be for nutrition til they're a year old - it's just practice. So whoever you're getting the info from, that table food will be enough, is very wrong. Please put your baby on formula til his first birthday, for the sake of his gastro-intestinal health (and your sanity later on).
    Anonymous

• Breastmilk or formiula is primary nutrition till the first boirthday. Solids aren't complete enough.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Really people you really think something amazing happens at exactly 360 days old that makes them all of the sudden capable of eating full on table food? Give the kid whole milk if you want and make sure he eats a lot of iron and omega 3 rich food that is the main concern. Talk to your ped. They will tell you what is recommended but if you are dead set against formula I can bet you they will guide you through how to feed him with no issues. they do make vitamins if nothing else.
    Anonymous

• Ask your pedi how much formula they need after a year old. I know as they are on solids more and more, they don't need quite as much. I can't remember specific amounts, though.
    ConnersMom03

Answer by ConnersMom03 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2010