What do you think about reintroducing BM to a 2 year old?

My baby is 3 mos. old and I have a surplus of milk from pumping. A couple of days ago, as I'm dumping old/unused BM, I wondered if it would be ok to sneak some into my 2 year old's milk who was weaned at 1 year. I thought it would be good for him, and then I just read online just HOW good it is to BF beyond one year and one scientist even found that we were made to BF for 2.5 to 7 years. Anyway, Should I just not go there with sneaking it in, or should I give it a try. My husband thinks I shouldn't do it since he's already weaned which I'm leaning toward. But, it does have health benefits.

pacha111

Asked by pacha111 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's not still good after all this time. I think you should throw it out.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I think she means pumping some FRESH for him lol! Go 4 it!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• im assuming you mean new breastmilk each time you pump??lol i think its an awesome idea if he drinks it from a cup. no problem with that.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 8:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Are you talking about feeding him the stuff you were dumping or starting to breastfeed him again?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:30 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• if you have pumped that needs to be used (it keeps for about 3 months in your reg freezer, and for 6 in a deep freeze) then go ahead and use it- if you want to pump, do that too!

I never stopped lactating after my dd was born (almost 9 years ago), when I get sick I give some to the kids, and help prevent them from getting whatever I have. My children almost NEVER get sick. A lot of that too, is our diet.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It's a great idea. Go for it.
    Anonymous

• and to head the pp off at the pass- tandem nursing isn't easy, but can be awesome for both mother AND child. there is NOTHING wrong with nursing an older child. Anyone who says different is a perv.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It is extremely healthy for him. If you can get him to take it go for it. :)
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't sneak it - just give it to him straight out, like a sippy a day or whatever. I wouldn't mix it into cow's milk.
    Anonymous

• You can buy a home yogurt maker and make yogurt from it actually. I've thought about this for when my baby is older if my supply maintains. You can always mix breast milk in with smoothies.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2010