Why does my 2 year old all the sudden fight going to bed?

DS turned 2 in december and now all the sudden he cires as soon as I walk out of his room. We follow the same routeen each night, and he used to go to bed really good until a few weeks ago. He started saying he could hear the "Choo Choo" and that he was scared. Then all the sudden it was a "Scary monster" now he kicks off his blanket and cries for me to cover him up, which he is capable of doing himself. I don't do it, but I am just hoping someone can help me undestand why things have changed. Nothing else is different either. All the articles I have read say that this can happen when there is a major change but everything is the same.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 8:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3 YO started doing the SAME thing. She a;ways went to bed fine, NO ISSUES at all. Suddenly she wants us to rub her back, or lay in there with her for a while, etc. She'll scream when we leave the room at times.

Lately I've been telling her I'll rub her back until Ariel comes on. Track 2 on her CD. It's been working pretty good.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Is she teething? Mine is working on a back molar and I wonder if that is why.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It's developmental. My daughter started doing this at 2.5 years. So aggravating when bedtime used to be no drama and then all the sudden it's nothing but... The fears are probably real... but then it's also the age they realize their actions can affect your behavior... so possible recipe for disaster, because when you used to say goodnight and leave, and now you (rightly) sit with him or help him ease his fears, now all the sudden he's getting extra attention at a time when he didn't used to get any... It's hard to find the balance. I wondered with our daughter if we actually ended up reinforcing the fears so much by giving attention to them that she ended up "scared" out of habit,.. because after about a month of this, she was just always saying the same things but they didn't seem authentic like they were in the beginning... so we've come up with some firm "rules" for bedtime (we made a sign, on her door)... (cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• ... after we say "goodnight" we promise to sit outside her door on the condition that she not talk to us anymore... I try to make a few noises so she knows I'm there... I'll sit there until she falls asleep or if I can tell she's really not tired, I'll sit there till she gets comfortably into her imaginative world of songs and conversations with her animals (which is what she used to do before the drama)... it works most nights. But she's waking in the night, too, which is super hard since we never faced that before either! Good luck... Hang in there. It's taken us about a month to get to a better (not perfect) place with this stuff.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2010