thrush medicine??

we went to the dr today for his circumcision, and got it confirmed that my one week old baby boy has thrush:/ she gave me NYSTATIN for me to give him every 6 hours, and since i breastfeed she told me to put it on my nipples too. i dont have any symptoms so far of having it no burning and no white dots. but i cant remember when she said for me to use it, like before i feed him or after? does anyone know??

oh and another question, about how long will it take for his weenie to heal from the circumcision??

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gentian violet (1%). its a purple blue dye you put a couple drops on the babies tongue and it works like a charm. I used it on my second child. You can get it at walgreens or walmart, or even kmart. call before you go to make sure they are in stock. A pharmacist told me about it and said he wasnt suppose to say anything about it but the next day it was completely gone!
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 8:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Put it on before. Because you never want to give your child any medicine on an empty stomach.
    My son's "manhood" took almost a week. It depends on how fast your child will heal. Just make sure to put lots of A&D on it. Or whatever they gave you. Make sure it doesnt stick to the diaper, because that will hurt horribly. You should see the redness turn into pink soon!
    Good luck Mommi!
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My daughter had Thrush and was perscribed Nystatin too. My dr. told me it's taken 4 times a day, 1 millileter on the sides of each cheek. I just thought it was easier to give her the medicine while crying, before i fed her, bc her mouth was open etc. I breastfeed also, but i didnt get any infections.
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2010