Eczema

My son is seven months old and has eczema on almost every part of his body. He has never showed that it bothers him. The doc gave us some hydrocortisome oitment and it had been working. But when I checked him before his bath, its getting worse.
We use vasaline on his skin because lotion only seems to make his skin dryer.
He is mixed, by the way. I dont bathe him every day, as it is winter.
Laundy soap, bath soap, nothing has really seemed to irritate his skin. I pay extra attention when ever Iuse something new.
Is there anything I can do better?
Should I vasaline and corosome twice a day instead of once?
Is there more I should be doing?
Thanks for the advise Mommi's!

krisew90

Asked by krisew90 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think the cream is suppose to be AT LEAST twice a day....maybe more depending on what the doctor says. and i was told to use a very strong lotion (unscented) EVERY time i changed my daughter's diaper.

i also use to put baby oil in her baths. other times i have used the aveeno baby oatmeal bath stuff.

i would probably use the vasoline twice a day (in the morning and then after bath/at night) and then strong lotion between that. you could also use baby oil directly on his skin as well.

your doctor could also give you a stronger cream. we have upped the strength in ours for our daughter becuase she has been more dry this winter than last.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I used the cortizone cream twice a day on my daughter's

even if he's not acting like it bothers him, it could still be laundry detergent. Don't use ANY softener products, and you don't need any special detergent, just one of the brands that's "free and clear" with no dyes or perfumes.

also try exfoliating his patches of eczema. I used one of those poofy bath sponges that's the mesh, gentle enough for her skin, but just enough of an exfoliant.
    Anonymous

• My youngest had it so bad his entire legs were covered. And it was spreading to his abdomen and arms. When we saw the doctor, he gave us a prescription for Triamcinolone Acetonide. I didn't want to get him a script for it, but as soon as we used it the eczema cleared right up. I mean gone within the first week. At this point I think it is worth seeing if the doc can give you something stronger.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I should also say that it hasn't come back. The medicine cleared it up and no reoccurrences. Occasionally he will get a dry patch and regular lotion will clear it up. But it it gets to the point where you LO is scratching it, it is really hard to heal it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My DD has eczema and early on we had the hydrcortizone cream. when that didn't work she was prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment for her body and Elidel for her hands, anywho the eczema cleared up enough but wasn't completly going away so the doctor gave us an allergy referral (she was also breaking out with certain foods). Well anyways after she turned 1 she went to an allergist and some prick tests were done and we found out she was allergic to chicken and the allergist said that could be why her eczema wasn't going away, well within a few days of taking chicken out of her diet her skin was SOOOOOO much better. We still use the ointments though for when she gets patches. i would talk to your babys doctor about a cream or ointment a little less milder than the hrdrocortizone.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 8:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• It took us 7 year to get an appointment with an allergist and it turned out she's allergic to almost everything. We use steroid cream and lotion from the body shop (the chemicals make her skin burn and their's are free of chemicals) then put vaseline on it at night to "trap it in". Fun stuff.
    briandaddie

Answer by briandaddie at 9:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My son has very mild eczema...only on a few spots of his body. His pediatrician recommended Cetaphil...the cream not the lotion. It has helped TREMENDOUSLY. She also said do not use real warm water when bathing and try not give him a bath every night. Also make sure you dry him off real well and only use "free" laundry detergents and dryer sheets without any fragrence or dyes. My son had a little patch like on his temple area that is virtually gone now. I also use Johnson and Johnson Shea and Cocoa Butter baby wash...its new. That seems to have helped too.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• have you tried cutting dairy out of his diet?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2010