Any advice on how to help damaged hair? ( without cutting it )

I dye my hair and use a flat iron.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Hi I am a hairstylist and honestly sometimes hair cannot be reparied, you need to go to a salon and get a trim and a deep conditioner, you have 2 kinds of damage, heat and chemical....long story but both can be addressed, I would love to know your hair type and hopefully you use good products,,,not pantene or something else,,,they have alot of wax that can actually prevent moisture to absorb in your hair. You need a good heat protectant before you flat iron, please PM me if you would like some more help. Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• You need to get protien and moisture back in to your hair. Go to a salon that offers the Redken Shot Phix system. It's the longest reparative treatment on the market and does amazing things. It's affordable and a lot of my clients are hooked, even the ones with damaged hair because it seals in the color and makes it last longer if done properly. HOWEVER you can never truly repair hair %100 after it is damaged. You just have to grow it and cut it off little by little. All the conditioner and home remedies in the world will not fix damaged hair. Once the cuticle is gone it's gone for good and you gotta start over!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• REALLY good conditioner. Professional repairing kind.
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Oh yeah, when you color, make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing and using safe color for your hair, or you will have more damage. Box colors from the drugstore are murder on your hair, very damaging, and the conditioner in them is just wax and oil. The properties in box color are VERY different from professional grade color. Eventually your hair will break off, boxes can be decieving.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• If you have split ends, there is NOTHING that will get rid of them other than a haircut. Split ends actually break off faster than your hair can grow. As for just damaged hair
    I'm a cosmetologist and recommend Redkin CAT http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=570 to help with already damaged hair. To help prevent I recommend Redkin Antisnap.
    You should always always ALWAYS use a thermal protectant on your hair if you use heat (blowdrying, straightening, and curling.)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2010