really badly need mothers help with breast feeding?

just want to know how do you know what the right temp is when giving you baby breast milk that has been thawed from freezer. I hear that you can either defrost in fridge or at room temp which one is better if you do defrost in fridge how do you heat it up would you have to sit it at room temp or could you just use a microwave? as you can see need lots of help please feel free to add in any other useful comments about breast feeding or using breast pump and storing that you may feel helped you and that will help me

tumtum360

Asked by tumtum360 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry I did brf but didn't pump that much for my 3 kids. You could also find out by calling La leche in your area.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:22 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/recommendations/handling_breastmilk.htm
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I breastfed all three of our babies but I never pumped and stored it... Sorry about the link but it's all I could come up with.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• pump and put it in storage bags or even zip locks. you can store in the freezer for up to 3 months and in the fridge a couple days. Do not microwave BM, but heat it up in or under warm running water. It doesn't need to be way hot, just warm enough to be comfortable to the baby (just not cold). Don't sit BM on the counter to warm it up to room temp.
    Treat it like a perishable food. Except, once it's heated up, you CAN NOT reheat it!
    The more you pump, the more you produce. Eating cabbage and oats I hear increases BM production. Drink lots of water, and remember what you eat goes into your BM!
    If you can breastfeed your baby from you personally, instead of pumping and bottle feeding, then do it, because that will also maintain and increase your BM supply! Good luck! xo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• what everyone else said but do NOT EVER microwave it!
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I pumped and froze in breastmilk bags - when I needed one I would take it out and bring it to room temp under warm water.

Answer by missanc at 11:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• "Do not heat... milk in a stove or a microwave oven" states LLLI's THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING, 7th Revised Edition, 2004 on page 122. Warming your stored milk in the microwave causes it to heat unevenly, creating "hot spots" that may burn your baby's mouth. Furthermore, valuable immunological components can be destroyed if the milk gets too hot (p. 158).

Frozen or refrigerated human milk is best heated by holding the container of milk under cool running water and gradually adding warmer water until the milk is thawed and warmed to room temperature. If running water is not available, a pan of water can be heated on the stove. The container of milk can be placed in the warm water once it has been removed from the heat source.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Take it out of the freezer and put it in a cup of warm-hot water for 10 minutes. Test it on your wrist before giving it to baby. I did this all the time and never had a problem.
    RosiesMomma219

Answer by RosiesMomma219 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It melts pretty quickly. As quickly as an ice cube. I used to just fill a glass with very hot tap water and stick the storage bag in the glass. When the water cooled I'd dump it and fill it back up with hot water. I just kept doing that until the milk felt like it wasn't cold anymore.

If I wasn't going to be using the frozen milk right awday I'd just put it in the fridge until I needed it, then use the hot tap water method above.

Most people advise against using a microwave because it creates hot spots in the milk and also destroys some of the nutrients.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2010