what kind of humidifier do you use for babies?

there is a warm mist and a cool mist humidifier and then a vaporizer. also is the vicks kind okay to use?

my 6 week old son has a stuffy nose, sometimes it kind of seems dry and he has watery eyes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends where you live. I live in Florida with the humidity in the air so I use a cold one
    JaymieZ

Answer by JaymieZ at 10:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Always a cool mist humidifier

warm mist humidifiers increase swelling of the upper airways and makes things like croup worse
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Melrn is right, ALWAYS COLD, never warm. Warm causes serious problems.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• We have the Vicks one, but VapoRub isn't safe to use on a baby that young - just don't put the Vick solution in there, run it with just the water.
    When my son had croup and we went to the ER they told me to use warm mist, or go in a bathroom and turn on the hot water to get the warm steam to open him up.

Answer by missanc at 11:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2010