Needing help doing a search for someone

i'm wanting help in trying to find someone, he may be dead by now but we still want some information on him. It's my husbands great grandfather. His family is all very close and his great grandmother died last summer. We know that his great grandfather left his great grandmother, which left her bitter and since then it has became a subject that is not talked about in the family not even by my husbands grandfather. We know that they lived in New Jersey and that he'd be around 90 or a little older. I thought you could search public records, but everywhere i'm trying to search is trying to charge me and i'm ok paying for info if i know it's gonna be about him, but i don't want to pay for useless information. If anyone has searched for they're own relatives and could give me any advice it'd be greatly appreciated. We think there may be more relatives that aren't known by us if Great grandpa went and got another family. Thanks

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 10:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'd begin with the SSDI (Social Security Death Index) to see if he died. Google that. It's free. Then I'd go to a site like www.familysearch.org and do a free search. If it turns out he's still alive, try www.zabasearch.com.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My husband does private investigations. He suggested you also try using ancestry.com.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2010