Welder's flash

Any of you know what I could do to help my SO besides going to the hospital for a welder's flash?

Amelia_Bd

Asked by Amelia_Bd at 10:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Health

• He really should see a doctor for that. There are special eye drops for it. I've had it before at my old job.
    Anonymous

• When my ex-husband got welder's flash we put raw potatoes on his eyes and he was well by morning.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 10:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• hubbs (a welder) says that he should put cold tea bags or cucumbers on his eyes and keep them closed. Make sure not to watch tv or do anything else that will strain them. If it is really bad then the skin might start peeling around his eyes, if there is any swelling or peeling he HAS to go to the hospital.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 10:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• if the pain is severe or he has trouble seeing he should see the doctor, sorry. if there is a problem and he got it from WORK, it should be covered with workers comp.

otherwise, take cold gauze pads and put them on his eyes until they get warm, then repeat. at night, cover with gauze and eye patch(es). you can always call the doctor and just ask for advice. Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory to relieve the pain and swelling associated with the welder's flash burn. Ibuprofen, aspirin or naproxen are all choices that will temporarily reduce pain.

one time my husband got metal flakes in his eye and scratched it up... hes a toughy cuz he woke up at midnight and i took him to the ER and the doctor was amazed he didn't come in sooner cuz it was bad. he had to use a salve and special drops and have his eyes patched over for a couple of days cuz of it. nottt fun.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I agree with Merjo my husband has been a welder for 20 years and has always use raw potatoes. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2010