When did your child start speaking?

My daughter is amost 19 months and says very few words. She rarely says "Mama". Everything is DeeDee. Sometimes I'll get her to say a few words. She does chatter. Should I be worried?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son said his first word at around 10 months. He was evaluated by early intervention and found to be delayed in receptive language, so he's been in speech therapy since that time. He's now 15 months and has probably 50 words. If you have any concerns, please call early intervention in your area and request an evaluation. The earlier you catch any delay, the easier it will be for her to catch up and if there is no delay, then at least you have your fears put to rest.

Answer by missanc at 10:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• around 9m he started with little simple sound words and worked his way up. his first real word word (not mama or dada) was around his birthday
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Absolutely NOT! Do you have any idea how worried I was when my son (who is 17 months old now) wasn't speaking much like a lot of mom's on here say there's do? Please! I joined a August 2008 babies group and found that not many were speaking as much as some people say there's were, full sentences at 14 months, I do not think so! Hang it up lady, your baby will be just fine and will make all those noises (that THEY know mean something, we just can't understand it YET) and eventually they will be REAL words!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my son started saying mama at 6 months old. And he is now 13 months and says, mama, dada, bite bite, bye bye, hi, uh oh. and a few other things, baba, etc. And jabbers alot. BUT every baby is different. if you have any major concern, consult with the childs doctor and see what he/she thinks. And try not to stress about it
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 11:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Mine spoke at 4 months, and started French by 19 months so you better get a move on....(just kidding)
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• No. It's perfectly fine.
    Just keep encouraging her to say words by repeating words to her.

My son says a handful of words, but I still encourage him to say more. "Say 'Doggy'" and he'll try it. "Say 'Nanna'" and he'll try to say that.. My son mimicks people, but he doesn't always say it more then once. Your child might know a lot of words, but just isn't ready to say them yet.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my son has a giant vocabulary at 23 months, but the dr told me the important thing isnt wether they are speaking yet, its weather or not they understand the words that they are using/hearing. alot of kids really arent very vocal until they are more like 3 or so but they still understand whats goin on and what you're telling them.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't really be worried. My son is 18 months and knows quite a few words but doesn't always use them. Even when he does use them half the time he doesn't say them correctly (even though I know he CAN) so I think he's just being goofy. At this age they aren't really worried about talking in the language adults speak because they know we still cater to their language to meet their needs. If that makes any sense lol. Try getting her to mimick you...sometimes that works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my dd turned 19 mos and suddenly started talking... before that all she said was "mama" "dada" and "ball".... the first week she turned 19 mos she said 45 words and now at 2 says 3-4 word sentences
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son really didn't start talking alot until he turned 2. I was worried too because he had few words at 18 months but something happened when he turned 2 and he picked up on a ton of new words all of a sudden and hasn't stopped since.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 7:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2010