SAHM!

What are some things you do throughout the day with your kids. I don't mind mine watching tv once in a while, especially the morning interactive shows that teach him something, but most of the day and evening that is what he does. I'm just not sure what to do with him other than just to play. Any advice? My son is 3 and my daughter is almost 7 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• mine are 2 1/2 and almost 4. Lately I've been overwhelmed with the whole SAHM thing. One thing that the kids have loved and has greatly helped me is having them help! :) Laundry, loading and unloading the dishwasher, even cooking. I love that at least at this age they are willing to help ;o) I know it won't last that long LOL so I'm enjoying it while I can. Takes up quite a bit of the day too, they are learning, and helping, and I get a little help too so it's a win win for me.
    Anonymous

• How about crafts, music, taking walks, reading to them? There are so many other things to do than watching TV. At the age of your children, you should definitely be limiting that anyway.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:55 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• my son is 13 months old and I try to plan at least 1 play date a week. With my other mommy friends and their close in age kids to my son. I try to get out with my son some during the day. Seeing new or different things through out the week besides the walls of home stimulates more for them. Even if its just strolling around the local mall for a few hours. It gives him time out and he loves to say hey and talk to everyone when out and about. Parks are always fun if weather allows. Sometimes we will go out for lunch. etc I just try to do a few things weekly out side of the home and the usual playing routine at home. and I keep him active with other family. We have weekly visits, etc
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• i have an 18 month old and 5 month old. we go to the park and zoo when it is nice out. otherwise we go to the science museum which has a small children's museum section. we go to target and the grocery store. we clean and cook. haha. last summer we went to the pool (but i was pregnant then... so it was easy... not sure how id do that alone this summer. but im sure ill find a way!) we take walks. we turn on music and dance or chase each other around the house. we go to the local library. and we play. i watch some of the pbs morning shows too... like sid the science, super why, sesame street, barney, ect. next year when my little one is running around too, then i intend on joining a little gym where they can play (like gymboree or the little gym). that way i wont have to worry bc they will be running in different directions!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I try to do something "out" every day - I take a Pilates class once/week at my church, we go to an indoor playground, walk through the mall, go to the library, our Parks and Rec Dept. has some great baby/toddler classes, etc. Getting everything together, out the door, plus travel time and the time we spend there usually takes up almost 2 hours!
    Your daughter is a little young for crafts, but your 3 year old is the perfect age! If you aren't an arts/crafts person Crayola has some great kits including the Color Magic collection. You can make some edible play dough, cookies, or other treats - at his age no bake stuff is best but there are no bake cookies, pudding (that you can use for finger paint too!), jello makes a pretty good no bake cheesecake, etc.
    Just turn the tv off and follow their lead on what to play with - stack blocks, race cars, turn on some music and dance!

Answer by missanc at 11:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• television doesn't kill children.....to the contrary I have a vtech that both my boys use that have taught them math, spelling, vocabulary...and they are 3 and 4. Not too shabby when my 3 year old can add 2 + 2.....not to mention they watch learning shows that teach them other languages, singing and rhyming and spelling amongst other things. On good days, when its not freezing and raining, we go out and ride bike, they drive their hummers, we take long walks with our dog and go out and about. Personally I have no issues with them watching tv and movies. I did when I was a child all day long, and I have my masters in psychiatry, and a BA in music. I do very well monetarily and so does dh. My boys are very advanced, well behaved and loving. Let them watch movies, my boys love it and play with their toys. I'm still going to school so they like to play on their kiddie laptops and do homework with me! cool huh?
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• My son hus a Tonka Dump truck, so we put all of his blocks in there and he dumps them. We play games, like he'll push it towards me and I'll pretend to scream like he's going to run into me. He loves it.

We color. He's just starting to learn how to color. He'd still rather chew on the crayons, but he gets the concept more and more now.

We take an empty basket and his plush/soft ball toys and we practice throwing them in the basket. Cheer when we get one in and just try again when we don't. Or I put my arms out like a hoop and he throws his plush basket ball in the "hoop".

We watch his favorite videos together.

I crawl after him around the living room/dinning room. "Attacking" him when he gets close or tries to run past me.

I stack his blocks (Still trying to teach him to do it. He has a short attention span.) and I let him knock them over. It's hard to get him to wait until I have them stacked.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• (Contin) When it's warmer out we'll go for long walks around the block. If there's a playground around (We moved to this town in Oct. So I don't know what's around yet) I'll take him to the park. We'll play ball in the yard, run around, play yard games, color on the driveway with chalk... If it's a warm summer rain I'll take DS outside to catch rain in buckets. (If he enjoys it that is.)

I let him play with certain magnets on the fridge while I do dishes. He loves that. There are also toddler magnet games. He has one where you put a vehicle on and it plays songs.. you can put a train front and a plane back and it'll sing a song. He likes it.

We play with his favorite blanket. I pretend to steal it and cuddle with it and he just laughs. We also hide under it. And he likes to try and walk around with it over his head.

We also have a learning laptop for him that he absolutely loves.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Read stories, play toys, play playdoh, build with blocks, color, play the Wii..... these are a few of the things my 3yr old and I do.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2010