after you dilate to a 3 can you go back to a 2?

jazysmom08

Asked by jazysmom08 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have never heard of it. I don't know what would make it close back up.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Call Labor and Delivery and ask the experts. They are always there and they would know

• Stress and fear can make you un-dilate, but it's kind of rare. Usually when this happens it's because it's a different person checking your cervix because it's all done by feel and different fingers feel different dilation :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yes you can un dialate. If the cervix dialates to a certain extent due to pressure yes it can. Especially after multiple pregnancies, the cervix gets stretchy I actually had it happen. Also, a common misunderstanding is, one persons definition of 2 cm may be another's definition of 3 cm. Either way, there is no major difference between the two unless it changed that much in an hour.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• In my case, I was on my feet all day for two days and baby's head was pushing down. So when I went to the doctor to get checked, I was at four. The same doc checked me later on and two nurses got the same thing. He explained this to me, and said it's actually very common. He didn't seem to concerned about it. I was fine.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Anything below a 4 can go down actually. Your not considered active labor until a 4, so your body may just be "practicing." One of my friends has a hard time keeping her babies in until full term and has been back and forth from 3 to 1. She's on strick bedrest and if she gets up at all, she'll go to a 3.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 11:23 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I'm sure anything is possible, but I've never personally heard of it happening.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yes, I have heard of it.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• yes you can. just like lets say you are dialted to 7 and they "dont push" and you do, well the swelling and pressure will cause you to backslide. so its poss to go from any number down again slightly as the baby's head is pushing there.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• Yep. Reverse dilation is possible, especially if you're nervous or it's early. That's why dilation really means nothing in the scheme of things.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2010