How much would you pay for this?

This family has 3 kids. 8,6 and 2. I watch the two year old all day. I do before and after school care for the school aged kids. I also run them to practices which is 5 days a week. Then drop them off at home every evening around 6:30.

I want to be fair but don't want to be taken advantage of either. What is fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Honestly, I don't think anyone could pay me enough to do that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would suggest at least minimum wage for your services. But then again, i believe that it is so much an hour per kid. So you have 3 children that you watch. Say $3.00-4.00 per kid. Thats ten to twelve dollars an hour per child. I think that is fair=)
    krusecat22

Answer by krusecat22 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• I do $2.50 per hour for one kid, or $2 an hour per kid for more than one. That way it makes me money and still allows the parent to be able to afford to work. I know if I was charged $10 an hour for daycare ,I wouldn't work because I wouldn't be making anything. that's just my opinion though. I watch my friend's kids. She has 2, ages 22 months and 4 years old, and I charge her $4 an hour. She makes $8 an hour. So we both end up with $4 an hour profit.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It depends on where you live, also. What a family would pay for that in California would be way more than in a rural town in the middle of nowhere (like where I live). : ) I would call a day care center in your area and see how much they would charge a family for that kind of care. Then kinda stay within that range? Good luck. That's a lot of work!
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 9:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• What is it worth to you? That is a lot of time and energy- I do all of that for my own kids and its a ton of work! You are providing a great service for that family so they can work and the kids can still do activities. I would guess financially they are doing fine if the kids can be involved in so many activities that they are on the run everyday. I would charge $250/week and thats a bargain! Missed time from work to take the kids to/from practice would cost them a minimum of $100/week- the other $150 is for child care of the little one.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Wow I don't think anyone could pay me enough for that either. I think it's worth enough that the parents might have a hard time stomaching the idea of paying for it, LOL.

I guess it somewhat depends on whether you are feeding them or if the parents are providing food.

I'd say around here there is usually about a $25 flat rate for one child for all day care. Another $5-8 per child for the before and after school care. Let's say $10 for the two of them. Plus you need to be compensated for running them around, using your own gas etc. I'd say another $10 on the days you're doing that. So $45-$50 per day. I don't look after kids though, I'm just saying as a parent what I think you deserve to be paid. And in all honesty I think my own calculations are pretty low considering what I think it's really worth.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 10:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I agree with Emily..I think $125 for 2 yr old, $50/wk for after school care and $50/wk for food and running kids around. total $225/wk. It does vary by location but that would be fair in my area.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• i agree with everyone else, i would say at least 200 bucks a week, and that is if you are good friends with the family!
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 11:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2010