do you think that being 5 '1" and 138 lbs is overweight?

sunshine31

Asked by sunshine31 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• yes,cause im around that and i look a little too thick if you ask me
    Anonymous

• wait im 5'3
    Anonymous

• nope!
    mistysangels

Answer by mistysangels at 11:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• depends on your bone weight.. if your small boned Or big boned.. I'm 5' 3 & was told I should be 120-130lbs, but I looked weird at 120.. so it depends.. doctors IMO want people to be too skinny.. so if your happy with yourself then no need to change.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2010

• yes that's big. sorry but I'm being honest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• nah, i think you're fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• from the national heart, lung and blood institute website body mass index (bmi) calculator, your BMI 26.1, which is considered overweight (>25)

BMI >30 is considered obese. here is the link: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 8:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I'd love to be 5'1 and 131. No, I don't think it's fat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor and ask him/her. That way in the same conversation, s/he can give you ideas of what to do and help monitor your weight.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 8:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• This sort of question comes up a lot on Cafemom. I'm not sure if people are asking whether they are medically overweight and at risk for health issues. Or are asking from a standpoint of whether society considers you to be unattractive?

You can google "BMI calculator" and find out if your weight and height put you in a category that is considered to be medically overweight and at greater risk for having health complications because of it. Your BMI is 26.1, which puts you in a category of being overweight. Although BMI has it's limitations it's usually a half decent measurement for the general population. You can also look at measurements such as waist girth and body fat % and use the results from all of those measurements to see where you stand. You would need to see a professional to get your fat %.

As far as whether you "look" good or not. IDK. I can't see you. Can overweight people be attractive? Of course.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2010