Stop the screaming!!!

My 18 month old has always done the shrieking thing but lately I think it's gotten worse. He screams at the top of his lungs all day. When he's frustrated, when he's mad, when he wants attention, when he's happy, and the rest of the time just because!! But it's really starting to drive me insane...to the point I'm starting to scream back. I'm afraid I'm just going to snap one day. How can I stop the screaming??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• discipline. like any other things that's not acceptable, when it's a negative scream put him in time out.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I agree with the above, but at that age they are still learning and time out doesnt always register to their little minds. You need to talk to them and explain to them what they are doing wrong and why you are making them go into time out. If you scream back at them it will not solve the problem, it only adds to the fire. They do as they see done...The more negative attention they get, the worse the situation will be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my 3 year old still shrieks like that when he's upset...he's done it since he was a lil' baby.......aye....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• oh man i know im gonna catch alot of flack for this one but my son started doing that when he saw his cousin doing it and whenever he did it i just (gently) popped my fingers on his mouth and it would kind of startle him. then i would tell him no no we use inside quiet voices. he didnt start responding to time outs until he was closer to two, and honestly its kind of hard to reason with an 18 month old. good luck! its just a phase and it does go away!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have this problem too you are NOT alone. It makes me want to sell him to a travelling circus....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• when he screams. get on his level looking in his eyes and say NO, that hurts my ears (i have aspies so my hearing is better then most people hence the screaming my son did at that age drove me crazy!!!) you cant hurt mommy... if he is like my son. he will find this funny. my son was also ready to begin time outs in his room at that same age. so when he would scream i would correct him with the "no, that hurts me." if he screamed again i just put him in his room for literally one minute. which he was hurt by (emotionally)  and cried about. when i took him out of his room i would repeat -- no screaming.... also Ear Plugs are a wonderful invention if you have sensitive hearing. for when they arent being bad just loud and you cant stand the noise.

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• time out does "register" they are smart. dont under estimate him! if he knows when he does something bad, he has to go away from people and you put him in a room (with baby gate blocking the door not locking them in) they will make that connection.. when i am obnoxious or scream i have to go away from people. he can understand that i guarantee it!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My 2 yr old does this sometimes. I ask him to please lower his voice and if he doesn't then he can spend time in his room for a few minutes until he calms down.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 7:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2010