im 16 weeks pregnant and found out bad news!

idk what to do my doctor called me and told me my test came back positve for birth defects! im soo scared. im 20 years old and idk what to do. i have to have an ultrasound done to see if the baby has anything wrong

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't worry about it. Mine came back positive too (for a neural tube defect...I was 20 as well) and I had to go through all these extensive ultrasounds and genetic counseling. They never found anything in the ultrasounds and my son is 18 months now and as healthy as can be. Nothing was ever wrong with him. False positives are actually pretty common. You can even ask your doctor how common they are! I wouldn't worry too much about it but I know it's scary! Just wait until you get the ultrasounds done and I'm sure everything will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Relax, you had AFP testing done, obviously. It's not totally accurate. They will run an extra ultrasound to make sure everything is okay and do and amniocentisis if needed. MANY women AFP test and it has come back abnormal and they still had normal healthy babies. Relax, and wait for the facts. It's just one of many tests, I did AFP my first pregnancy and never did it again for this reason. It wouldn't have mattered to me.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• that test is commonly wrong. In fact I didn't take it because of that. A friend of mine got a false pos. So she had the amnio(amnio has a 1 in 200miscarriage risk). Baby turned out perfectly healthy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Those test can give false positives up to 80% of the time. I wouldn't put any stock into it until you know more information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• the test only come back as positive for your baby being at RISK. they are not conclusive. many false positives. they will do a lot more tests, but i wouldnt worry to much until you have more info.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my cousin was told something like that, it turned out they just had the conception date wrong! i am sure everything is fine.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• That test is a screening test, you don't test positive or negative with it, it only gives you the chance your baby has a certain birth defect. Its an unreliable test and i don't even understand why its still being offered to women
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I agree..try not to stress over this. I opted out for this test with my previous and now pregnancy due to the high rate of false positives. The sonogram will give you more accurate information and if they are concern they will continue you with sonograms.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010