my 7 month old still isnt sleeping through the night

ok so its weird, my first baby was hard to put to sleep, but he started sleeping through the night at 3mos then quit, then we 'ferberized' or whatev at 6 months and it worked alright. this second one however goes to sleep so easily, basically all by himself, but he still wont sleep through the night! when he wakes up i try to just put him back to sleep but he gets so worked up and still wont self sooth. any thoughts or ideas?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 12:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he hungry? My kids always woke up once at least through the night (usually between 2 and 4) until we got rid of the bottle at a year. Other than that, some kids just take longer to sleep through the night. My 2 1/2 year old still wakes up during the night for no reason. He goes to bed by himself but when he wakes up during the night I have to pat his back to get him to go back to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• usually he wakes up at 3am and ill make him a bottle and stuff but he falls asleep eating it. i feel like its just a habit because it IS at the same time every night and he isnt finishing the bottle. im just scared to cottle him cuz i know its harder to break this type of habbit the older they get but i know he is still just a baby and can use a little cotteling for a while if thats really all it is...but i do so very much miss sleeping lol
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• This is the prev. anon -
    For us that was the last bottle to go, around 12 1/2 months. What I did then was have a couple of long nights. I would soothe them, lay with them on the couch to get them to sleep, rock, whatever it took. Then around 6am I would allow them to have a snack, like a banana or such because it was morning. It took about 3 nights for both my boys and they got used to that and actually started sleeping 12 hours (8pm to 8am) except for my 2 1/2 who still wakes up. (but he doesn't need the snack anymore, he goes back to sleep real quick)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• This is normal...it will change all on its own. It's still early to expect anything different. Sleep for you? You do know that's a violation of the Mommy Contract, don't you? **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It's normal for babies to night wake. Adults night wake too even if they don't remember it. For a baby "coddling" as you call it is a need not a want. The baby can't get up to get their own food, or drink, or to go somewhere to pee. It is very unusual, unless exhausted, for anyone to sleep without stirring. Five hours IS a sleep through the night by the way, any more than that is extra. If he doesn't finish the bottle, then make less. If all you need to do is to get up, feed him/hold him, and he goes right back to sleep then why mess with that? You spent more time trying to make him fall asleep until he got worked up and wouldn't instead of just working with his needs. KWIM?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It's normal for babies to wake at night until they are 3 years old! What has been and still is normal in most of the world is for babies and toddlers to breastfeed and sleep next to their mothers. The child and mother have a symbiotic relationship because of pheromones they smell from each other and get on the same sleep cycle. The child will breastfeed and the mom will barely wake. The child may nurse frequently during the night, the mother doesn't remember and she isn't tired.

If the child wakes and is alone the child will cry. Something is wrong and the child may be in danger.

This is how human brains are hardwired. Some people force babies to do other things and studies haven't been done to find out the damage done to humans that have been forced to sleep alone as infants.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• a 7 month old waking only 1 time is very good. i would be happy with that and count your blessings. just have a small bottle ready to go when he wakes up so you can get him fed and back to sleep faster
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think parents expect WAY more out of infants than we should. Some babies DO sleep very well but that really isnt the norn and it IS normal for a baby to wake up during the night. and whoever went into motherhood thinking they were going to get good sleep was sadly misguided and ill informed! I know it sucks but really, a 7 month old is most likely going to wake at least once at night.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• A 7 month old who only wakes once at 3 am? I'll trade you ;-)

My 7 month old nurses at least 3-4 times during the night!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• That's crazy, they don't need food if they are drinking well during the day. If he doesn't take a full bottle, he 's not hungry he just wants to see you. Don't go in for 3 days straight and he'll learn to sleep thru the night. It's not good for them to wake in the middle of the night constantly. They need to sleep thru and go into deep sound sleep, this is when they grow and when their brains develop the most.
    wanttoadopt0707

Answer by wanttoadopt0707 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2010