My Christians sisters, can you explain to me about prayer and silence?

I have gotten to the point I can't say long prayers but just small prayers throughout the day.

Does Jesus instruct us to take out long time periods for him? When I start to pray too long my mind starts to drift and I stop praying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is fine : )

You are acknowledging your awareness of His presence in your life! I do the same thing. I do sometimes spend longer times in prayer when I am in my devotions, I pray about what God is speaking to me, and I also spend more time praying for other people as He leads me.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• That's ok. As long as you are conversing with Him. It is fine.

Remember prayer is never a contest. The one who prays the longest is not the holiest or the most devout. He simply wants to have a conversation with you. Short prayers throughout the day are fine.

However, if you would like to move to longer bouts of prayer, simply practice. Learn to meditate. It will help your focus.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 1:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I pray many short prayers a day. Sometimes if something is really troubling me I will pray for a long time but I generally just say what's on my mind and I know that god will help me.
    happy2bamommy86

Answer by happy2bamommy86 at 3:05 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I too do the same as you. He knows are struggles. god bless
    mommyibe

Answer by mommyibe at 3:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Jesus stance is to "pray about everything." Jesus wants us to have a full relationship with God, like He did. Imagine this like a close and intimate friend who you call up and talk to whenever you have a question or just want to talk. There are no instructions for "how to pray." Jesus gave an example in His Passover prayer which was more about what a prayer should sound like rather than the length. When I pray, sometimes it is longer, sometimes shorter. Sometimes the Holy Spirit will take over and I will pray for a longer time. Our goal as Christians should be constant meditation, meaning we should always be thinking about God in everything we do. I find taking time to pray keeps us focused.
    Ms.Susanne

Answer by Ms.Susanne at 5:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It happens to me at times too. So I understand you, I still think as long as you still pray to himhe will always help you.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I recenlty found a new phrase I like....its to "bathe your life in prayer"

God understands short attention spans. I like to think I never stop praying. I pick up a running monoloug with God throughout the day. Sure sometimes I'm not talking directily to him but I understand that he's listening.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2010