Not sure?

My son has a horrible cough right now and everytime he coughs he grabs his ears. He has never had an ear infection, but could this mean he does? He isn't sleeping good at night b/c of his cough (which started 2 days ago) and during the day is very whinning but only pulls at his ears when he coughs or hears something louder than usual. I am taking him to immediate care in the morning just to be sure but wanted to see what others momma thought. My son is 13 months old too.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like it could be an ear infection...or at least the beginning of one. Usually when you call the doctors and describe any symptoms that involved  at the ear they tell you to bring them in so it's a good thing you're taking him. Even if it's not a full blown ear infection they may prescribe some amoxicillin to take care of it before it causes any real trouble.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• thats's supposed to say symptoms that involve tugging at the ear***!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• usually if they have an ear infection they will fuss alot when you lay them down cuz for whatever reason it hurts more when youre laying down. but recently i had this cold that made my throat soar (the whole fam had it) and the sore throat made my ears hurt a little so maybe thats it? hopefully they can help you more in the morning! good luck
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would run to the store and try some ear drops. Most brands are homeopathic and when my son had similar symptoms the other night, I gave him some plus tylenol and he was almost instantly at ease. That is how we narrowed it down to an ear infection. Turns out we were right, the DR confirmed it as an early infection in one ear. She prescribed amoxicillan but (being more of a natural DR) let us know that unless it got worse or symptoms stayed the same in the next two days, we didnt need to fill the prescription, he would heal on his own. He is doing MUCH better, all on his own.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2010