Have you ever heard of Metabolic Syndrome?

I got all my blood work back and it points to something called Metabolic syndrome. Is this something real or a "umbrella" that some doctors use? I am tired of getting the run around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Health

• The metabolic syndrome, also called insulin resistance syndrome or syndrome X, is not a disease but a group of characteristics that, in combination, increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and heart disease. These characteristics include obesity, high blood pressure, elevated blood sugar levels, and high triglycerides (fat-like substances in the blood). Keeping your weight, blood sugar, and cholesterol and triglyceride levels under control can help you to live longer and decrease your risk of heart attack and stroke.
    http://health.kosmix.com/topic/Metabolic_Syndrome_Definition/overview/uptodate?fdid=uptodate_b184de6c6520b8eb3ed483f9a6deca69
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Thanks...but I can google it. And I did. I am looking for input from our RN's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It's an umbrella term, in a sense, that based on what your test results indicate, just puts those results under one term. Then you have to break down from there what needs to be addressed and treated. Exp: How were you cholesterol levels? Is your BP soaring through the roof? Blood sugar?, ect. Those results can be an indicator if you are at risk for heart disease, stroke, diabetes and such.

While the term itself might be considered an "umbrella", the test results certainly are not. I would hope your doctor is going to put you in touch with a dietician to help you make some lifestyle changes and also I would talk to your doctor about starting an exercise program.

(And no, I didnt need Google for my answer but I'm not an RN either.. I'm a Market Research Analyst in the Pharma industry.)
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 4:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Well then you should have specified that. Sorry I tried to help.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:23 PM on Feb. 12, 2010