How do I get my daughter to stop sleeping with her sippy cup?

My daughter is 19 months and she has been sleeping with her bottle since she was about 6months old she has transition from a bottle to a sippy cup but she still has to have it to fall asleep and stay sleep I don't no how to break this bad habit I'm trying to wait it out and see if she gets over this phase by herself but now that she has most of her teeth I don't want her sleeping with a cup full of juice ( she won't drink milk ) drinking it through the middle of the night how do I break this before its to late for my babies teeth. ( a friend of mine did the same thing his daughter is 3 now and all here teeth are rotten)

Asked by trying2staysane at 9:10 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put water in it. I did this with my 3 year old, once he found out all it was, was water he didn't want it any more. It will be a horrible couple of days but it works. also start taking it away while she is sleeping.

Answer by crystal.evans42 at 9:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Yeah, my neice's teeth rotted too because my sister didn't take away her juice bottle at night. It is especially bad because the sugar in the juice. I think that putting water in it is a great idea, and you just have to get over the 3 day hump. When we took my daughter's paci away it was 3 days and then she was fine... she sleeps great now!

Answer by msp12r at 10:20 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• You just need to take it away from her. She might cry herself to sleep a few nights, but better that then having rotted teeth from drinking juice in her crib at night. Maybe buy her a special new stuffed animal or something you can give to her when you take the cup away. This might help distract her. After awhile she won't even look for the cup anymore.

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Switch her to water and don't worry about it.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• i just stopped giving her a sippy cup at night which this was when she was like 12 months old and it was okay she didn't cry or anything but you may have to just hear it for awhile try hiding the sippy cup before bedtime or something like that

Answer by katesmom101 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• Give her water instead of juice!

Answer by JoeMama at 5:56 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• uuuuuuuuuh, take it away. She/he is a baby, you are the adult. They will get over it.

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2008