How to quiet coughing in a toddler at night?

He has a humidifier, he's on antibiotics for a severe ear infection. He has a cold, and he has asthma. He's taking his asthma meds. He's allergic to lemon, and won't take honey, not even from a dropper. Is there anything else I can try that is safe for him?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 1:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• How old?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• They make baby vicks vapor rub. Or some warm milk.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• try to get him to sleep on his belly so the back of his throat doesnt tickle so much, also maybe cloresceptic (sp?) spray might help depending on how old he is. They also have coughdrop suckers for kids that help some. Any warm drink should help, if you can even out honey in warm tea that would help if it is to sweet to take plain. Keep it cool in his room, hot air tends to make a cough worse. Hope you find something that helps.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Do you have his upper body elevated some while he sleeps so he can drain? My ds and your ds sound like they deal with identical issues. If I can get him elevated that will help some. His ped also has prescribed him a cough med that I can give him at night when he is really sick and his cough is to the point that he just cant sleep at all (or catch his breath from coughing so much) and nothing else OTC (i.e. Children's Robitussin Cough and Cold) doesnt work. But generally the Robitussin Cough and Cold works enough that he can sleep. And for daytime, I will use Children' s Robitussin Cough, it works good too. They are for kids ages 4 and up.
    Does his doctor have him on a nebulizer by any chance?
    And keep him away from any dairy, esp milk, if he has any phlegm with his cough. It just makes things more sticky and worse back in his throat and neck. The more water you can get him to drink, the better.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• elevate his head. that helps the most. no dairy... steam up the bathroom and use it as a breathing treatment. let him sit in the steam for a few minutes at least. i will make him cough afterwards but it will clean it out.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would MAKE them down a tsp of honey before bed. They may not like it, but they have to learn sometime who is the parent and who knows best for them. They will be required for the rest of their lives to do stuff they don't "like", but that's life.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 10:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• TimandMely4Ever:

When I do that, I actually sit on his arms, with him on his back, and his head between my legs. That works for every other medicine he doesn't want to take, except for honey. It's too thick, and whenever we try it, it ends up all over his face because it gags him, and not in his mouth. With both myself AND my husband holding him down, it still does not work. It takes three people to hold him down at the doctor and dentist at times because he is so strong.

To everyone else, yes his head is elevated at night, but he's a weird kid, and throughout the night he ends up moving to where his head is at the foot of the bed and not elevated anymore.

He's on nebulizer treatments, that's the asthma meds I mentioned. He's on pulmicort and albuterol. He's two. I can't use vick's on him since that seems to make his asthma worse.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I called and talked to the nurse. She said to go ahead and give him some Robitussin cough and cold. She said it may not work, but he's congested so badly that he needs it. Honey doesn't help with that, just coughing.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Wow...never heard of someone being allergic to Lemon...what kind of reaction does he get?
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 8:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• jjessers:

He's actually allergic to all citrus, not just lemon. Oranges, limes, grapefruits, are the big ones. He's not allergic to where he'll have to go to the hospital, he gets horrible tummy pains, gets bad diarrhea, vomits, and gets cold symptoms. He's only two, so there may be more symptoms that we're unaware of, but that's what we know of.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2010