How long did it take after you had you baby for your milk to dry up?

I had my DD a week ago and Sunday when I got up my boobs were leaking bad and swollen and hard so I wrapped them with an ace bandage as right as I could stand and used an ice pack. I done this with my first DD 4 yrs ago but I had tried to breastfeed her so it was a little differnt and I don't remember how long it took my milk to dry up. This ace bandage is driving me nuts and itches :( At the hospital the nurse said just wear a tight bra or sports bra and I shouldn't have this happen so I did but it didn't help.
How long does it normally take to dry up and is there any other things I can do to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Two months for me.
    armywife009

Answer by armywife009 at 3:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Wow, two months! They don't give "dry up meds" because they are too dangerous. Going through milk drying up can be worse than the beginning days of breastfeeding.

Don't take this the wrong way. You could try putting your baby to your breast and see if your baby will nurse. You obviously have milk and it will make your breasts feel better. If you had problems a week ago, things may be better now.

You can hand express for comfort. Pumping will keep you making milk but hand expression probably won't. You can feed any milk you get to your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• The only thing I can think is why... ?!?!

I hope you don't get mastitis with this interesting lifestyle choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Mine was dry within a week with all three kids. I never did have much milk to begin with though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• about 2 years, but i was BFing. i agree, put baby to the breast, it will be great for your health and for your baby's!!!! :-)

the drugs they used to give to dry you up caused clots and death, if i remember right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• it just goes to show how unnatural what you are doing is....?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• nurse your baby a little. just do it here and there so you dry up little by little without the discomfort, it will be better for your baby and you, even if just a bit!
    KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 12:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• with dd 4 mts, i bf for about 3 mts. with ds 11 mts i bf for 10 mts.. why dont you drink the mo more milk tea. i hear it works
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• If your not breastfeeding...as I didn't you can put cabbage leaves in your bra...I know sounds odd but it dries up your milk within a day or so.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Wrapping is the WORST thing to do to yourself. Take off the bandage unless you want mastitis. Cabbage leaves in your bra. It will take a while...milk can be there for a YEAR unless you go on estrogen birth control. Estrogen will kill supply in a day or two.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2010