What is a good age to start my daughter in dance and gymnastics?

I want to put my daughter in dance and gymnastics. I was considering putting her in classes this summer when she is 1 1/5 yrs old. Is that too young? Would it be better to wait until next year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started my daughter in gymnastics at 14 months and she loved it! so we have continued for two sessions and going on our third! our place offers a mommy and me class for 1-3 year olds. it is a very large place and they train for the olympics there, so maybe that is why they offer a class for that young? the place is huge and my daughter has so much fun. most places offer a free class, so maybe try that first to see if your little on likes it, and then decide which to do. there are usually gymboree's everywhere and i know they do free classes and have them for young children/babies.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My personal opinion beings as I did ballroom dance would be to make darn sure she is interested for starters. Understand it's JUST FOR FUN at this age and you should study and understand what each type of dancing involves as far as discipline-so no ballet imo. Other then that....I think dance is a WONDERFUL way for both boys and girls of all ages to get energy out, exercise, and have a blast! :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I figure they offer it for the age try it! They start at 3 here it is a hour class and a lil to long for my DD. BUt when she desides to do it she loves it.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• When...and IF she wants to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My twins started gymnastics at 2, which was the earliest age allowed at any place I could find it. No one offers dance before 2 1/2 around here. I'm planning to wait until they turn 3 to give dance a try.

If you can find something that allows kids that young, then I say give it a try. My twins LOVE gymnastics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Most...not all, but most places dont start dance until they are 3.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 11:30 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• A quality run dance studio will not start until age 3. You may be able to find a mommy and me creative movement class at age two. Anything younger, you risk injury.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:31 PM on Feb. 12, 2010