College Applications Question

My son is starting to fill out applications for college. I was wondering, how involved should I be? I feel like I should walk him through every step to make sure that he does not make any mistakes and to make it easier, but I hear of some parents that want their kids to go through the whole process to get them ready for being independent in college. What side did you tend to lean towards?

Ms.Susanne

Asked by Ms.Susanne at 5:49 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• There is a door here, like there will be many times in the future between his life and yours. You can let him know that YOUR door is open.......you are here to help if need be. BUT I think you should let him do it on his own.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• IF he asks for help, help. OFFER to help, but if he doesn't take you up on it - let it go. You will have to help with some of the process because he's going to need information from you on some applications.

If you feel the need to walk him through every step.....STOP! What you should do instead is offer to proof read each page (most applications are done online anymore) before he submits the application. Make sure he's not got any mistakes, misspellings, or even little white lies in the application.

Good luck, but having done this twice already, it really is best to let go and let them do this on their own as much as possible. FAFSA is all you though.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think I will try to let my daughter do this on her own as much as possible when the time comes. I will let her know I am available if she needs me, but I'm not going to force myself into the middle of it. I expect my daughter will need some help, and I hope I will be able to point her in the right direction without actually giving her all the answers. I want her to know she can do things on her own when she needs to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Honestly, we let our son do them on his own. He filled them out, wrote the essays and we didn't even read the essays he wrote or go over the applications before he mailed them out. He applied to 3 colleges (in Sept., Nov. & Jan.) and he was accepted to all 3. So, he obviously did a good job at filling things out. if you son needs help, let him know that you are there for help but if he can do it without any help or input from you that's not a bad thing. You won't be there when he ventures off to college and eventually he is going to have to do things all on his own. Hopefully, at this point in time he already can being that it's just about the end of the school year and he's either 18 or almost 18.
    Anonymous

• We will be doing this next year with our oldest daughter and have decided to let her handle this herself. She is already very independent at 15 so no need for me to hold her hand. She already knows where she wants to go and what degree she wants to do!
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 8:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2010