My LO is 7 days shy of her first birthday. She has been breast fed exclusively all year. Is it okay to switch to soy milk now(she has a milk protein allergy) as long as I have the pediatricion's approval?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anything is ok as long as you have the Pediatricians approval....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have a milk protein allergy as well and do drink soy, but not too much....I would proceed with caution as many people are allergic to soy, though. I would keep breastfeeding her as long as possible and just give her water sometimes. The longer you BF, the less she will become allergic to other things...but definitely check with the doctor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Well, if your going to ask your pedi...why are you asking us?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Thanks for the responses. She has been tested and thankfully does not have a soy allergy. We saw an allergist to confirm her milk allergy and at that time she was tested for soy and egg and was not allergic to either.
    RosiesMomma219

Answer by RosiesMomma219 at 7:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Just looking for some reassurance from other moms who have been in my position. Anything wrong with that?
    RosiesMomma219

Answer by RosiesMomma219 at 7:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Isn't soy milk kinda expensive? if you're lookin' to wean her, you could maybe keep pumping and put it in a cup for her.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• When I'm moving my kids from one thing to the other, I don't ask my pediatrician. It's my kid, I know when they're ready and when they aren't.
    You could try her on a bit of soy milk and see her reaction and slowly give her more each day until she is completely off breast milk.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 8:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my concerns with soy would be the sugar content and there are some who say something in soy mimics a human hormone? i would at least look into it. also, i have heard some soy is genetically modified. my kids never had a substitute milk. just breast milk, then water. we get calcium from green veggies, vit d from the sun and fats from flax, eggs, and nuts.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son has a milk allergy and he drink soy milk. We also give him a multi-vitamin and have since he was about 15 months old (when we discovered why he was wheezy and throwing up). I also nursed him to about 13 months so I had no idea he was allergic to milk until then.

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with switching her now. My doc recommended adding the multi-vitamin. It was really hard to find one acceptable for babies/toddlers, but we were finally able to find a bottle that said to break the vitamin in half for 1-2 year olds.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 9:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Do some research about the problems associated with soy. I used it on my sons' cereal since I wanted to minimize the amount of cow's milk in their diet.

The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. If you do wean now you don't have to have her start drinking a 'milk'. She can drink water. Formula is given to babies that aren't breastfed so will survive the first year when they can survive on a regular diet. Once a child turns a year old they should only drink water and maybe small amounts of juice.

Think of a baby kitten. If it's mother dies you just give it cat milk bottles until it can eat regular cat food at around 6 weeks. It's not good to give cats cow's milk and many cats will get sick. We are mammals just like cats.

A baby cow is milk fed just until it can eat grass. You don't feed it deer milk or dolphin milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2010