What do you do when...

...you're at an establishment withOUT a changing table in their bathroom. Two local places (cafe & coffee shop) that I love do not have changing tables. Neither does the Dunkin Donuts in my town. I've just put her changing pad down & changed her on the table real quick...I feel bad, but what am I supposed to do?!

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 7:14 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have changed my kids on a booth seat (at least it is lower so other people don't see it as well). I have also taken them outside and changed them in the car, but that doesn't work so well in cold weather.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:16 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would never change my baby on a dinning room type table in public. I would buy one of those roll out mats and change the child on the bathroom floor. If I was in a booth type seat and the child only did #1 I would change him/her there. Nobudy want to smell #2 when they are eating.

Answer by louise2 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I usually change her in the car if there is no place for me to do it inside.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:37 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• hmm..well, i would never change a poopy on a table, that IS gross. and i kinda think it's gross for my baby to be on a bathroom floor, mat or not under her. nor do i really want to be kneeling down on a bathroom floor. and in these two places, there are chairs, no booths, otherwise i'd do that. and it's freezing out, so i wouldn't bring her outside in the cold for a 15 second diaper change...not to mention that i don't usually drive there, 'cause both places are a minute walk away from my apartment.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Good question-I HATE when this happens!
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 7:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• EEEEEEWWWWWWW to the moms that are getting down on a public bathroom floor to change a diaper, that's gotta be the most disgusting thing I've heard in a long time, think I threw up in my mouth a little. If the estabishment I'm spending good money in can't see fit to install a changing table then they must want me to change a poopy diaper on the table for all to see! If this is the only sanitary option offered to me then yes i will change her diaper on the table. I'm also careful enough not to drop the poop all over the table or let it come in contact w/ it in anyway & if some does happen to slip out I use a diaper wipe to wipe it up. If enough moms did this the establishment would probably put one in!!!! Again there's no way in HELL I'm putting myself let alone my daughter on the floor in a public bathroom, I worked @ enough places to know that's the last place that gets clean, hell the tables probably haven't been wiped down!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I wouldnt get on a bathroom floor thats as bad a BFing in the bathroom YUCK! I wold change them on the seat of a booth. If it is poopy probly in the car.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would NEVER change my baby where people eat. If there is no changing table and there is room where the sinks are I will change her there, if there is no place near the sinks I will change her on my lap in the stall (ungraceful but effective), if there is absolutely no room for lap changing only then will I change her on the floor in a far corner where there is little traffic on a mat that will get washed (I cloth diaper anyway). It is winter here and changing her in a cold car or waiting for the car to warm up just for a change is not an option. That said, I part time EC (elimination communication) If I am proactive and paying attention I have avert a need to change a diper at all if I just hold her over the toilet to pee/poo.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• If worse comes to worse and you refuse to change the baby on the bathroom floor ASK THE MANAGER for a place to change the baby for goodness sakes. Don't do it at the table. That is just gross. People are eating.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:17 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Never on a table. I would go out to the car.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2010