My daughter had a WIC appt. and they said her BMI was pretty high.... anything I can do about this????

How can I change her eating habits????? she eats well but sometimes Mcd, and sometimes late of a night......... does eat fruits and veggies not all the time........ replies appreciated !!!!!!! shes 3 yrs 6 mos. and 41.5 inches tall and 44 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!

glitterygirl79

Asked by glitterygirl79 at 7:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no juice, lots of active play...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Ugh! Not all kids are the same. Don't pay attention to the WIC office. Does her pediatrician say anything about her weight? I doubt it... my sons also a big kid (about the same size and age as your DD) and he's fine. Active and all. I wouldn't worry about it.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• if you are concerned about her weight, you could try to reduce processed foods and sugars. no juice is a great idea...at least make it a special treat 1x a week maybe. juice is not as healthy as eating fruit b/c you get all the sugar and none of the fiber. like pp mentioned, all kids do grow differently. but it can be emotionally hard for a child to be overweight too. good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• You are smart to start thinking about good nutrition now- Although I think she sounds fine for her age- its never too early to think about what she puts in her body! I would make sure she is really active, cut back on processed foods, eliminate or water down juices and make sure she has fruit and/or veggies everyday. There is a little girl in one of our third grade classes that was cute/pudgy in Kindy but her parents never paid attention to nutrition and she is too big for a 3rd grader. She can not run or play on the monkey bars at recess and its hard on her. Her snack everyday is a huge bag of cheetos- that is a treat, not an everyday mid morning energy boost that our school snack should be. One day a week some junk is OK, but everyday?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think you already know what you need to do. No more McDonald's, no juice, more physical activity. You can get free information about the food pyramid if you google it. Kids need a well rounded diet, not just fruits and veggies. Grains, meats, dairy, and protein are also needed. But nobody needs McDonald's.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• How often is she eating from McDonald's? Sounds like a lot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• i firmly believe we can drink juice, eat mcdonalds and be very healthy and happy. everything in moderation and kids need lots of activity. get her into a dance or gymnatics class. get her moving more. try to get her into healthy snacks maybe.... this books is also great. http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/0061251348
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would take what WIC says only semi-seriously. Truth is your child does need good eating habits, but WIC is well known for making a fuss over weight whether it's too big or too small with children that are perfectly healthy. I'd first talk to your pediatrician about your concern before changing your daughters eating habits too much; I did this and my kid’s doctor called WIC and chewed them out.

Mc Donald’s is not very healthy so if you cut all fast foods out you're doing really good. If you put her to bed at a certain time like 8-9 or so at night and do not feed her past dinner time then again you're setting up a good eating schedule, these are some things I would change. Maybe gain some good, inexpensive, easy recipes you do not mind making at home, but these suggestions are all made w/o knowing anything about your reasons for living your life the way you are which isn't fair to you, maybe more info.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• With the exception of milk, kids should be encouraged not to drink their calories - no pop, no juice, no milkshakes etc except for a special ocassion. Treats should be given sparingly.

A lot of people don't really know what is healthy and what isn't. My own food philosophy is to choose whole foods in their most natural form and then cook and bake from scratch (buy meat from the meat section, lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, low fat milk products). I limit anything pre-packaged and processed (like fish sticks, chicken nuggets, frozen pizzas, commercial granola bars, most breakfast cereals and many other "foods" marketed towards children).

I also believe that parents are obligated to get out there and be active with their kids, especially if a kid is overweight. Take her to the playground, go for walks, take her swimming etc. Don't just make her exercise, do it with her so she views it as something fun.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 12:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Our daughter is the same way since birth, larger. Now she's 5 and is 49 inches and 66 lbs. She's a force to be wreken with. Here's a random list of thoughts:

Since the beginning we've been super vigilant about her foods. Non-fat everything starting at 20 months. Fruits, veggies, double fiber whole wheat bread. No juice or sodas.

Try the recipe books for hiding good foods into things like meatloaf, meatballs. Try smoothies: vanilla soy, blueberries, bananas, flax seed oil.

Go to www.weelicious.com amazing site.

exercise! I make ours fun with walks and then she's in a dance class.

Another new thought I live by: Don't feed yourself anything your great grandma wouldn't recognize (food inc.) Ex: Gogurt

Read labels. talk to a nutritionist at least once and learn how to read the labels.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2010