I know what the pediatrician thinks, but what do you all think?

Btw, I posted here because I wanted opinions from moms whose kids were a little older than mine, thanks :)
Backround:
My son just turned 4 & he is 39.5 inches tall & 43 pounds. His height is in the 30th percentile & his weight is in the 90th. The increase in weight was a jump from his trend in weight but, I forgot to ask the Dr at this appointment what his percentile was at his last appointment (his 3 year check up) but, I know this was definitely an increase.
Also, I know his weight increase had a lot to do with us (me & DH) encouraging him to eat to compensate for his other parent who doesn't mind him completely skipping meals & will not even offer food more than once & will let him play or do other things instead of eating, I don't mean once in a while, it's frequent. He also doesn't poop when he's over there either. (This has gone on since he was 2).
(continued)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My older son was chunky when he was younger, but I always knew he ate healthy and played outside ALOT so I knew it was just-as they call is baby fat. I think if you feel good about his nutrition and activity level, you can not worry too much about his %'s so young. Since this has come up, you need to take a good look at what he eats and how active he is-if you feel there is a good balance, no worries, If you find he is not eating healthy foods or if his play most consists of sedentary activities rather than running around and getting fresh air- adjust that so you have a great balance. My son is 15 now, strong as an ox, a great athlete, sleeps well, eats well by choice and plays any and all sports. I am not saying everyone has to be an athlete, but everyone should get out and get moving!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• (continued)
    My son doesn't look chubby, he is active, energetic. He has a good appetite but, also loves many fruits & vegetables. We were already trying to decrease the processed foods we eat & include more whole grains which he has taken well to. My DH & I will definitely ease up on encouraging him to eat & go with the flow more. I'm going to use this as an opportunity to get the whole family eating healthier, but especially my DS since he is young & forming his eating habits.
    Question:
    How concerned should I be about his weight? Also, he does have a great appetite & I don't want him to deny him food if he's hungry, is it ok to just give him lots of fruit & veggies so he's eating the same anount but, it's healthier? Or is that just keeping him overeating? Should I give him less but, more filling foods?
    Any help or insight is appreciated!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• He is to young to be only giving him what you thing he should be eating.. As long as it is healthy then let him eat till he is full... When he says he is full then let it be don't try and get him to eat more.. If he stops when he is full he might want a snack a little later and just make sure that is healthy to... You can't cut his food down if he is still hungry.. Way to little to be worrying about it like that..
    Anonymous

• With the jump in weight-it could just be the beginning of a growth spurt. Sounds like you are doing everything right. I have a 4yr old who is 45lbs and 43 inches tall. The crazy thing is that according to the "growth curve" she is actually too heavy for a child her age even though she is so tall. Her pediatrician told me not to be concerned because she looks proportioned right. did your doctor mention anything about the weight increase? If they didn't I wouldn't worry. Just be more aware of what he eats and he should be fine. If you are still worried in a couple months, take him in for a weight check. He he still is gaining more weight and not any inches then you can talk to your doctor about your options.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think you should give him of nutritious snacks if he is hungry. Hes a little too little to "deprive" him of foods right now. I wouldnt worry too much about his weight. His weight this month and his weight 6 months down the road will probably be 2 very different things. As long as he is eating healthy and getting adequate activity in his life.. I wouldnt worry.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 5:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2010