Should I put him in preschool?

My soon to be 3 yr old cousin is living with me, and we have been having some trouble with his speech development. He's going to be starting in the Head Start program in March, but the programs speech therapist told me I should consider a daycare or preschool one or two days a week in hopes it will motivate him to talk more. I really am considering it, but it seems like such a waste considering I stay home with my one year old. Do you think it will make that much of a difference?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree, send him a few days a week if you can afford it. The interaction will be good for him and will promote social skills including talking more. If its a financial burden, don't beat yourself up about it- HeadStart in March will be just fine!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I think it's a good idea because he'll interact with children his own age. Think about his needs! They come first!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Isn't it almost March? I don't see what a month would do besides throw him off... it sounds like he's already going through transitions -- and starting preschool is not a minor one. Doing that for a month and then switching to Head Start? Unless you mean that he would be able continue the preschool once the other program began, then it could be worth it... But "daycare or preschool" to encourage speech development doesn't make much sense to me -- preschool yes, daycare I think you would be better off spending your time reading to him and talking with him one-on-one. Better ratio than he's going to get in daycare; preschool at least there's a curriculum.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2010