Cross Country Road Trip With Two Kids.

So is it possible to drive from Oklahoma to Washington alone with an almost 2 yr old and a roughly 4 month old breastfed baby? Any tips would be awesome. Potty breaks? How is that supposed to work?

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 10:11 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Travel

• When you know could you please let me know. We are getting ready to travel from montana to california, in june with our 2 lil ones to. so good luck my friend.
    Vmahoney

Answer by Vmahoney at 1:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I know nothing of traveling with a breastfeeding baby. I have gone from Denver to Los Angeles with a 2.5 yr old. I planned to take a longer amount of time getting where we were going to allow for potty breaks and just seeing what was along the way. The longest day of driving was about 7 from Denver to Cortez, CO. The other days we stopped for lunch, sight seeing, hiking whatever. We even got a trip to the orthodontist in Flagstaff because my oldest broke his braces. Just do a relaxed schedule and it should be fine. Just be prepared to stop a lot.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I just did this for the most part although I am no longer breastfeeding so you will have a few extra stops along the way for that. I drove from Washington to Florida to North Carolina and then back to Florida and then back to Washington. My kids were 4,3 and 1. I did do it all by myself and I am sure that you can too, it is mind of matter. We had fun doing it. When i started out if had a rough idea of stops ahead but i was not really sure how many miles and hours that I could drive in a day. I wound up driving 10 hours a day and made it from Wa to Fl in 5 days. I had lots of snack, drink, books and movies on hands. They were all in my passengers seat at arms reach. My potty training 3 year old did well, I did not give her as much to drink in order to cut down on stops. I did not dhydrate her or anything like that though either. Every time I had to stop for gas I made sure at the same time we ate, went to the ....
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• bathroom and anything else that had to be done in order to cut down on stops. For me I stayed at KOA's(in the cabins) and a few hotels along the way. I liked the KOA's because they had a playground where the kids could play and I could pull up right to them and unload and the kids could be loud and just be kids. The hotels we stayed at were good though because they provide a television which keeps the little ones entertained while I could relax. My IPOD was my best friend I dled music and Pod casts to keep me company and busy along the way. Is there anything that you are worried about i n particular? Bfing is going to make it so you have to make more stops but there is nothing wrong with that it will add a little time but make sure you do them at a place where your 2 yo can use the rest room. Lots of luck!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have done this many times. I made sure my kids were right next to each other in the car, the baby in the middle the oldest on the passenger side, you would not believe how much a 2 year old will be able to help you entertain the baby! Glow sticks are great for some cheap entertainment. If your baby is not in a infant seat keep a small stroller on hand so you have somewhere for the baby when you stop, I found this worked great once the baby was no longer in the infant seat but also not walking yet. Plan to stop whenever baby gets hungry, you can also eat and use the bathroom at these times, if your not ready for a long stop but baby needs to eat, pull into a truck stop and feed in the car. Good luck! I know there is more so pm me if you want.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:25 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• i flew with my oldest many times by myself and also drove with both girls by myself but usually not more than 5 hrs a day.
    My husband and I just flew to Dallas with them and drove from there to Shreveport and to Orlando. The girls were fine except one time when the lil one cried so hard that she started vomiting........
    Janeeva2005

Answer by Janeeva2005 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 17, 2010