What are some ways i can make my son and step son more comfortable growing up with parents in a biracel marriage and having a biracel sibling?

I am concerned about my son and step son as the grow up my husband and i are both of different races i am caucasian and he is african american we each have a son from different relationship and we have another baby on the way i am concerned that my son and step son as they grow up are going to get a lot of heat for have a birace family and them having a biracal sibling. what are some ways my husband and i can doto make them feel a little more at ease with growing up in our house hold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• at this point- there's really nothing that you can do, unless one- or both- children were raised in a racist household.. if not (and i'm doubting it!) just keep practicing and teaching acceptance- whether its the color of someone's skin, the physical appearance or even personality traits..

(it might help knowing their ages)

but you can also teach them that some people who not accept people for WHO they are- and that we will meet them many times in our lives- but that their opinions do not matter. what matters is that the parents love each other, the parents love the kids, kids love the parents and the brothers love each other (and the future sibling- if its a boy or girl).

but biracial families are EVERYWHERE. my dad is full Japanese-- My mom is mixed of a lot!-- me and my older sister are half JPN(24 and 21)-- my brother is Half AA (12)-- my sister is Half Australian (4)-- and then- my son is 1/4 JPN (also 4)
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my mom is mixed with native american (2 tribes), irish, german, italian and a few other things, but i cant remember. lol

we go to Native Amerian Pow-Wows each year... we visit Japan (my grandparents live there) every few years... my sister goes to Australia every 3 months.. we do stuff for not just Black History month- but during the summer, we visit a few places of the underground railroad..

just be accepting of each other's culture/history and it'll eventually rub off on the kids as well.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 11:04 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I would say get to know other bi-racial families and do social things together so your kids don't feel like they are the only ones. I think that most kids are color-blind when they are young. So it is important for your husband to establish a very good relationship with your son from the previous marriage (important no matter what the race is). In time, he will see him as a caring man and step-father - not an African American. The social issues he might face will come from outside your family - maybe kids say things to him from school, taunting him or making him feel different. This is why a strong family unit is so important. Kids will always find something to feel different from everyone else - especially when they get around 12 or 13. It is important for you and your husband to make both of your kids feel loved and strong to face these adversities. A good sense of confidence in themselves and conversations about the topic.
    Anonymous

• Biracial.
    Anonymous

• They will feed off of your feelings, no matter what you do.
    Be a Family, put them in swimming lessons--the more they do the better thier SELF-ESTEEM, will be.

When color does come up, act like it is no big deal...

If someone should say something bad to them--
    CALMLY, explain to your child that , THAT PERSON is ignorant, and speaking ugly.

If yor children love themselves and is proud of thier-self.

They will be happy.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• WELL SWEETY,number one you cant "make them".maybe you are trying to hard and if they were against this in the begining and they see its upsetting you then you will get out. so dont fall for that.kids tend to try and intimidate you to get what they want.make it clear that nothing is going to change and it would be beat for everyone to get along.thats just a suggestion but i bekieve if they think what they are doing will work they will continue.ive raised 4 kids and now raising 2 grkids but that still doesnt make me an expert,i still cant always figure them out but just dont let them run your life because they will be out doing what they want and you will be left setting alone,that i know for fact so dont let them run your life,respect them and theid feelings to a degree and the same for you from them.i hope i didnt confuse you.misslj
    misslj

Answer by misslj at 11:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• YES, EMPOWER THEM...

mix them with every-one of all races....
    .
    let them know, they are no better or worse then anyone else.

.
    always be fair, and not defensive.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2010