Do you think it is thrush?

I breastfeed my daughter. She was teething and biting me when nursing but now I am wondering if it is thrush. When she first latches on it hurts (feels like she is biting, but I don't believe she is) once she starts sucking the pain is gone, it is just that first few seconds. It isn't a latch issue, she is 6 months old and latch has never been a problem. My nipples have gotten red, I noticed when I got in the shower this morning. Right now just sitting here the right one just feels tender and I haven't felt that way since we first started nursing. Her gums are white on the bottom (beside the teeth she already has) I thought that perhaps more teeth were coming in there. Oh, and also at some nursing sessions she will just cry and not want to nurse at all even though she seems, and should be, hungry. But there isn't any of the cottage cheese looking stuff I read about online in her mouth. Is that always there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes the white infection it always there. It is most likely teething. Do you pump? Are you sure milk is coming out?
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 10:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• if it's thrush her tongue and gums would be white, also would be on the roof of her mouth. if you had thrush your nipples would have the white stuff too. so it doesn't sound like thrush.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• i thought the boob would get hard and hot and red with thrush...if you suspect it ... it is very dangerous and you should see a doc about it.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• The first responder is mistaken. Thrush can be present without EVER seeing the white...it can present as a rash or baby can be asymptomatic.

Treat this as thrush. It does sound like that's what you have.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2010