What do I do?

6yo is now at a point where he thinks it's all fun and games to go and do something less than 2 mins after I told him NOT to do it. He's already lost stuff (tv and computer are gone for 2 weeks already). Time outs seem to not work with him. I've tried just talking to him and he agrees that he understands (he's smart, I know he does) but then he just goes and does what he wants anyway.

DH doesn't really seem to care. He told me to bring the issues to him, but then when I do he doesn't bother to do anything so our son thinks it's okay to do what he's doing.

Help! The kid is driving me nuts! What can I do for discipline that will actually work in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he like his snacks? Thats the latest thing I've tried. Took away snack for that day, & daughter wasn't happy about it and is thinking twice before she does something.She has a snack after school & again after dinner(dessert). For my 10 yr old I take away her DS she loves that thing. It does have to be something they want to do/use everyday.Someone told me about a chart with stickers, Not a bad idea, I sappose but I didn't try it, guess I'll save that for the next issue...lol~ Good-Luck`~`
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 11:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• with my 5yo its removal of things they really want. Today was a prime example, lots of candy from school cos of Valentines day. Well I caught her eating 5 things at once and told her no more candy today and as always its Halloween rules. Just a small amount each week. Well an hour later I caught her taking some candy out of the bag and she actually asked if she could have it once she knew she was caught. So I told her .... you have 2 choices. Put the candy back and have some tomorrow or eat what you have in your hand and you loose the rest of your candy to the dust bin. She put it back and didn't touch the bag again.

I use the same method to get her to pick her toys up. If I pick any up they will end up in the bin. She picks them up quite happily after that and we even make up a game to see how fast she can do it. The quicker she does it the more pennies she gets to put in her piggy bank. Rewards can work wonders.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 3:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2010