Girl, 6, Handcuffed, Committed Because Of Classroom Behavior

http://www.wpbf.com/news/22526263/detail.html

No child should ever be put in handcuffs. If can't talk to a child maybe you should not be teaching!!!

gammie

Asked by gammie at 11:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Would you like it if they did that to your kid?

This is why my daughter home schools.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• i read it and it said she threw stuff, including sharpened pencils, pencil sharperner, dangerous stuff... hit the principal who is 8 months preggs ... and that the school has been trying to get her parents to come in to help her and talk about a plan all year and the parents dont show up.... what is the school supposed to do? let her hurt people. they should have just expelled her. i bet she does need serious mental health therapy and parents are in denial... now here is the real question --HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THIS HOLY TERROR OF A CHILD THREW A PENCIL AT YOUR KID AND BLINDED THEM... isnt the school supposed to protect the other kids from violent and dangerous kids. they did try to work with the parents. this is all the parents doing imo.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:27 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• The report also said the school has contacted Haley's parents several times about setting up a meeting to discuss her behavior, but they have never shown up.

I am on the fence about the handcuffing BUT the part of the article I quoted above speaks VOLUMES.The parents dropped the ball.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:29 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry, but it's really hard to say who's wrong here. I mean, yes it does seem extreme to handcuff and commit a 6 yr old. But on the other hand, she was absolutely out of control, and apparently the parents either don't care or are not willing/able to do anything about it. The school can't just sit there and let the child do things like that. She could have seriously hurt someone, and if she continues on this path, very likely will hurt or even kill someone with her tantrum someday. She was throwing things and hitting a pregnant principal. Something needed to be done. Should that something have been handcuffing and committing her? I don't know. But they did want they thought was best.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I agree with Amalia D. If a child won't respond to any other measures, what are they supposed to do? Let her be a danger to all of the other kids? If this kid was in my son's class, I'm sorry, but I'd be all for them handcuffing and taking her away if it would protect my child. It's not fair for the other kids not to have a safe learning environment just bc of one out of control brat. If the handcuffed child were my child, I'd understand. However, I never would have let it come close to that far.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• it should never gone that far to handcuff a child!! that is never right or Okay.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:38 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Haley's parents said their daughter has a temper problem, but has no history of mental illness. Her mother said the school should have called her so she could pick up her daughter rather than have her committed.

"They have looked at her here," Franklin said of the New Horizons mental health facility. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with my child. I work in daycare. I know what a child that has problems -- you know, I know how to deal with them. I know what they act like."

So, mom knows dd has a temper problem, and knows how to deal with kids with problems. But she can't find the time to talk to HER CHILD'S teachers about HER CHILD'S temper problem. Something is wrong with this picture. Having the child committed was probably the only way left to get the parents to actively deal with their child and her problems.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Sounds like it to me 29again
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• The story says she was throwing dangerous things, so some external containment was needed. It occurs to me that handcuffing would be the only option because of our society's prohibition against authority figures touching students - teachers or police.

This is awful, the little girl has my sympathy, her parents appear to have really let her down.

Increasingly, children are being palmed off on schools without even basic "house-training". My husband worked in a school where the 1st graders were oppressed by a couple of out-of-control classmates: one of them was so wild that he'd run out into the street if not prevented, so the teacher had to be vigilant ... especially because this boy went out windows at the drop of a hat. Somehow the parents actually felt that the teacher was responsible to keep their child safe, despite their own negligence.

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• If the child had hurt another student people would be saying why wasn't the police called and the child restrained. Schools are in a bind when dealing with a child the parents have dumped on the school to deal with. I feel bad for the child and the other students that had to deal with her.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2010