I'm a BF mom and I am 10 days late....

Could it just be that I will not be "regular" until I'm completely done breastfeeding. A normal menstrual cycle is between every 21-35 days (28 being the average). So even if I had a 35 day cycle that would make me 3 days late. We use condoms.... so don't think I'm pregnant. can anyone relate to this wacky cycle? Or could I pos actually be pregnant... I dunno... I'm so confused.... and feeling hormonal...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Health

• From what I understand, it's normal to be irregular when you're BF. My son is 10 months old and I got my period in October, November, and December. I haven't gotten it since then and my tests were negative (although I haven't tested in a week and a half). But I've been looking on lots of websites and it seems to be pretty common. Have you tested?

I'm always regular so it drives me nuts!
    traces_mommy

Answer by traces_mommy at 11:35 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• if you're breastfeeding, i wouldn't count on a regular period! i didn't have one until almost a year after i stopped breastfeeding!
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• no I haven't tested yet... i just don't thnk I am because we haven't had unprotected sex... soooo guess it's just the BF issue.... It drives me nuts to... cuz I feel so hormonal! Like I wish I would just get it and get it over with..... (then again I would rather not have it for Valentine's day)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Irregular periods are regular while breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Irregular periods are normal while nursing and you also didn't mention how many cycles you have had since LO was born. My cycles came back around 15 months with both kids (I nursed until they were at least 18 months old) and they didn't normalize until about 4-5 months after that. I actually had a 48 day cycle that totally freaked me out even though I have an IUD. Personally I would test though because condoms have a very high failure rate, but I tested and I had an IUD in :)
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My MIL had 7 kids and she will testify that BFing is not birth control and you can get pregnant on your period.

Like the PPs said, don't count on a "regular" period until you are done BFing and you are certain you are not pregnant. Also, changes in feeding patterns can impact your hormones. Even your DH's hormones can make you feel hormonal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• All bets are off if you're breastfeeding. Could be a "regular" old irregular cycle, or you could indeed be pregnant. I got my period at about 6 weeks post-partum nursing with each of my daughters, and that was with nursing around the clock! I wouldn't worry, though...
    Anonymous