What do YOU have against Homeschooling? (Healthy Debate Please)

I am going to be homeschooling. I have noticed that A LOT of people have negative things to say about it. So go ahead, what do you have against it? No bashing, just share your opinion on the subject.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I just feel the kids miss out on the whole socializing experience of going to school, making friends, learning how to act in society..All the home school kids in my area when I was growing up seemed a little awkward or weird and most were very religious, it really set them apart..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have no issues with it. I know personally I feel the socializing could severely lack but if you make sure the kids are still on sports teams (like at the Y) or something where they are around kids their age often then it is ok. I could never homeschool my kids but that is because I do not have the patience for it
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Some of my most memorable moments both good and bad are revolved around school..School field trips, a favorite teacher, school dances, concerts, good friends, these are all things a home schooled child will miss out on..I know you will say you will network with other home schooled moms or do sports for interaction with other children but that is just not the same thing..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My only problem with it is when parents homeschool for the purpose of sheltering their child. Such is the case with my SIL. Her child's teacher was a different religion, and even though the teacher didn't say anything about it to the students (kindergarten BTW) my SIL did not want her kids "exposed to that" also she had an issue with a black child in the class.

I intend on sending my kids to public school for elementary and maybe middle school so that they get a good basis for social skills and exposed to the world. Then I will give them the option to homeschool for middle/high school as I personally learned more doing my studies in school in an independent fashion even though it was public school. But that also depends on my kids' learning processes and if the independent studies method is what is right for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• The homeschooling moms I know are concidered helicoptor moms. They hover over their kids to much.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have nothing against it... in fact I've been hired by a few mothers to homeschool their children (I'm a SAHM certified teacher) I just feel it is important to have them involved in outside of the home social activities, such as youth group and/or some other typr of ministry.... a library group... or some type of club... also, electives are important as well... contact your local park and rec to inquire about physical activities (sports teams), music lessons, cooking classes, etc. Find out what your child is into and let him/her explore all different areas. I think a homeschool program should involve a curriculum that allows the child to have a well rounded education.
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:51 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• my issue is that kids need to develop away from mommy sometimes. they need to be their own person. and it is such an amazing thing to know a whole grade full of kids your own age... i would just be sad if i had been homeschooled because most of my best memories were of school!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My cousin homeschools her little girl because she thinks that her daughter isn't being challenged at school, she thinks that her daughter is gifted. From what I see her daughter is an average kindergartener
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It can be unhealthy is done for the wrong reasons, but that is probably true of many things. We have had parents yank their kids out of school and home school over issues that were easy to resolve. They home schooled out of spite, rather than a true desire to teach their children at home. The other issue I see on here that drives me nuts is the statement that ALL public schools are terrible. I wonder if people actually researched their own school district on their own or if they take the advice of a disgruntled friend or worse yet the media reporting on a school district the parents are not even in. That is my negatives on HS. Now for my positives- if done for the right reasons by a highly motivated person AND it fits the learning style of their child, then its a good choice Education is not a one size fits all and strong communities have a nice mix of public, private and home schools all working together. CONT
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have nothing against it if it is done correctly and for the right reasons. For my brother in law - it was meant to keep him out of school becasue he was not doing well and his parents kept (and still do) making excuses for him. He went back to school for high school and never had to be accountable for himself or his grades as his mom always fought for him.

For us, we decided to not home school because it doesn't fit our family. We feel it is important, since i have been a sahm, for school for socialization and problem solving skills out in the real world. Also for friends and the experience of school.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2010