If you have a dog, is it a purebred? What kind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Pets

• Yes. She's a shih tzu. I'll never buy a dog from a pet store again, though. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death and therefore don't regret getting her, but I found out after buying her that the pet store I bought her from gets their dogs from puppy mills. I paid $750.00 for her and it makes me sick to think that I was giving that money to a place that supports something so terrible. In the future I'll only get my dogs from animal shelters. I do REALLY love Shih Tzu's though. Regardless, our next dog will be a big dog. I'd love a really, really big dog...like a huge Saint Bernard, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• We have a lab-mix that we got from our local shelter. Shelter dogs are a great way to go- you pay for the adoption and any initial shots/spaying/neutering, and you get a really great pet.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• We have 2 basset hounds and 1 maltese. All fully papered, all gotten from extremely reputable breeders in our local area. All healthy, the bassets have been altered, the maltese has not but only because he's the only one that hasn't been and is never around any non altered females.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• We have two pure bred dogs, one pug who is amazing sweet and full of life. Our other dog is a Boston Terrier she is pure but very small for the breed. She is also fun and full of life she loves to chase and retrieve any ball, toy and even a laser light.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Yes.. we have 3, two German Shepherds, and a Siberian Husky...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have 2 male Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My dog’s parents are purebred show and hunting dogs (mom was Irish Setter, dad was Pointer). They weren't supposed to mate and breed so my dog was an "oops" pup, but I'm glad that it happened since we love our Sam. I did luck out and get the papers on both of my dogs parents so I can prove his breed which has come in handy since we're moving from this rental to another and some rental homes ask for proof of breed on dogs. I guess some home owners insurances do not cover certain breeds (not sure what breeds aren't covered, but it does cover my dogs breed).
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I have Daisy, a purbred 13"(the shorter breed)beagle. I got her for $50 from thei guy who paid $400 for her and his kids didn't want her so they put her outside in a kennel and left her. She was so skinny I wasn't sure she was really a beagle when I got her. Two years later she's gorgeous, sweet, but drives me crazy, she's freaking crazy. I also have a JackCorgie named Ollie, I got him from a rescue. He's annoying too, but he's cute and I get lots of compliments.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• We have 3 dogs, a 8 yr old Pomeranian that we bought from my brother in law as a puppy. A 2 yr old chocolate lab that is outrageously hyper!! And an 8 month old German Shepherd who is wonderful. We have already decided our next dog we get (in a few years) will be a German Shepherd.  They are all purebreds but the pom doesn't have papers.  We love them all but the lab is just way hyper than we thought she would be!!  Makes our life more interesting!

TowmaGirl

Answer by TowmaGirl at 12:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• We have 5 dogs:

Buckeye who is our 15yo purebred Black Lab who was a shelter rescue (adopted when he was 6 years old),

Daisy who is our 8yo Beagle/Bassett mix who was rescued from a box on the side of the road by a woman driving by when she was a puppy (6 weeks old). The woman developed hip cancer 7 couldn't give the puppy the attention she needed so we adopted her (through Pet Finder) in 2002 when she was 4 months old,

Gizmo who is our 7 1/2yo full bred Yorkie who was a shelter rescue (adopted when he was 3 mos. old),

Donatella who is our 2 1/2yo Greyhound/Mastiff mix who was a shelter rescue (adopted when she was 4 mos. old)

&

Beatrix who is our 3yo Yorkie/Scottie mix who we adopted from a family who needed to re-home her (adopted last Nov.).

I believe in rescuing/adopting vs. paying for a pure bred dog but that's just my personal preference.
    Anonymous