Do you smoke? smoking voids computer warranty

If you're a smoker with a Macintosh computer, your warranty may go up in smoke! Apple voided the warranty and refused to provide repair service on Macs exposed to cigarette smoke. The smoke residue inside a computer presents a health risk and a "biohazard".
The service can be refused because of Occupational safety and Health Administration, OSHA.
However Apple computer warranty's does not say anything about this, so you can fight it and get repairs.

gammie

Asked by gammie at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• WTF!!! one more reason I'm a PC ;o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Personally, I agree that it should void the warranty on all electronics. However, if the warranty does not say this, then they should not deny service.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 12, 2010

• good, I can't stand smokers
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 12:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• WOW really?? That's weird THANKS!!!!! My husband smokes only outside and computes - great now the computer's on a death trip too sorrow for husband smokn but for possible loss of his computer
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• More and more discrimination. Lovely country we live in. Gay rights everywhere, Black history month every year. Rights and special concessions to every group, no matter how small, but smokers get the short end every time! Why not pick on the drunks once in a while?
    Anonymous

• good, I can't stand smokers
    ---------
    and I can't stand the self-righteous. I can't stand alcoholics either. But, I still loved my grandpa very much, regardless of how much he drank.
    Anonymous

• If the coating is extensive, they shouldn't be required to work on it, however - we always fix our own, and have had as many as 4 adult smokers living here at once. Never have we opened a case and had the kind of damage that is in those pictures someone linked in the comments of the Consumerist article this question is from. Either these are truly worst case scenarios or Apple is being way too picky.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• "Why not pick on the drunks once in a while? "

Your drinking does not effect MY health. Your smoke residue and 2nd hand smoke does.

"Smokers' rights?"

Smoking is a choice, not something you need rights for.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Answered at 11:13 AM on Feb. 12, 2010 by: Anonymous
    More and more discrimination. Lovely country we live in. Gay rights everywhere, Black history month every year. Rights and special concessions to every group, no matter how small, but smokers get the short end every time! Why not pick on the drunks once in a while
    **************
    OK....do you have a problem with gay rights...is that a special concession? That's not fair. There is still to much discrimnation against blacks and other minorities and now Gays and you don't care? And smoking is okay too? DO you smoke? I bet you do. This would be a lovely country if we all coud admit that every human being is alike except for pigmentation in their skin. And if we allowed for differences instead of hating those who are different.
    Smokeless computers sound just fine to me. Smoking kills. The toxic effects stay in your walls,furniture,and ,sure, -in your computer!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Smoking is a choice, not something you need rights for.
    ----------
    LMAO, as is the case with a few other groups who demand their rights.....

****************

---------
    MY smoking does not effect YOUR health either. YOU don't come to my house, or ride in my car. If I were driving down the road smoking a cig, you are in no danger. If I were driving down the road with a 40 oz, then you WOULD be in danger. (I know, it's illegal.......)
    My point is that anytime cash is needed, they raise taxes on tobacco, not alcohol. There is such a social stigma from part of the population about smokers, but those same people are perfectly ok with drinking. I am suggesting that they consider targeting alcohol once in a while, why is it always the smokers who get beat up????

Anonymous