Did the epidural work everytime for you?

I was just curious if you have had more than one child did the epidural work everytime for you? I am on my 2nd (last) child. I am 15 weeks pregnant. But have been thinking about this. The epidural worked wonderfully with my daughter. I had absolutely no pain once I got it. I am just nervous that it may not work the same this time, which I hope it does. Trying not to worry about it since I have a ways to go, but I do think about it. Thanks :)

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They don't work for everyone~ and they don't always cover the entire (lower) body when they do. It's a toss up...
    I have attended & know of many moms that have not had full coverage. But only natural waterbirths, myself.

If you are interested, why not try for a natural birth?
    You can enjoy your labor, reduce risks, and reduce-eliminate pain, too! :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I had an epi the first time, not the second time. It doesn't hurt.
    Anonymous

• I have never had an epidural. i strongly prefer not to take the risks associated with it.

but a friend of mine had an epidural for her first birth w/ twins that worked very very well. she loved it! w/ her 2nd birth, 1 boy, the epidural did not work and she was in a lot of pain. imo her pain would have been far less without the epi because she could have found other ways to manage the pain that aren't available once you have a lousy epi.
    Anonymous

• HELL NO!! IT MADE CONTACTIONS WORSE AND LABOR LONGER FOR ME WITH DD. WITH DS IT WAS GREAT BUT IT WORE OFF AT 8 CM. DONT ALWAYS RELY ON THE EPI TAKE BIRTHING CLASSES I DID THAT
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Ok ladies. THank you for your answers. That is fine. But I wanted to know from people whom have had them done. Thanks!!! We all have our own opinions and knows what works best for us. I can't tolerate any kind of pain. So that is why I opt for the epidural. I guess if it doesn't work the 2nd time around then, my bad.
    DAH02

Answer by DAH02 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• 15% of women who recieve an epidural don't have complete pain relief. It can not work at all, it can numb half of your lower body, it can numb most of it with a "window" which is where there's a small section of the body where you still have pain, it can numb but not enough to reduce pain significantly. And a PP is right, you have fewer managment options once you have an epidural that doesn't work or doesn't help enough.

But it does work for 85% of women.

Good luck deciding!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• In my deliveries for three kids one labor ended section and two more section I had epidurals each section including during that labor before first section. For me the epidurals took away pain very well each time but in a way paralyzed me -up to my neck each time I was just dead weight and couldn't even lift my arms in any way even after birtth when my arms weren't stretched out anymore. I've seen Discoveries birth shows on sections and it amazes me that some moms right after sectioned can left an arm to caress newborn for the first time. I couldn't do that til the next morning til hours later myself.

In my second section not my first or third, it was extremely painful and made me very very queasy to feel all the strong tugging to get baby out. I never felt the cutting but the pulling and tugging bad.

If you go epidural start talking to anesthesioloists in your seventh month instead of eighth or days before delivery.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It depends on the anesthesiologist you get, I think. I've had 3 epidurals and everytime they told me beforehand that they'd give me a real good one and every time it most definitely worked. I felt NO pain. I also have chronic back pain, so not having any pain in my back at all for a few hours feels amazing! I plan on getting another one soon, I'm due 3-19!
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 12:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I've had 3 and the first one I couldn't move from the waste down AT ALL and the second was GREAT ..I had no pain I could move fine and felt the urge to push and pressure and the last time was horrible cause she had to re-do it 3 times and it made me vomit and once she was born I felt like I was fighting for my life I could not keep my eyes open and could barley talk. I will NEVER have another one I'd rather take the pain and beable to spend though first precious hours with my baby wide awake.
    3beautbabies

Answer by 3beautbabies at 1:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• for me, no. first child it wasnt done properly and i had her naturally. second baby yes it worked nicely! i will be opting for one again this time around. (3rd and last pregnnacy)
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2010