Does exclusively pumping effect milk supply?

Does exclusive pumping effect milk supply? I have to exclusively pump and my milk supply seemed to have gone down.

Any suggestions???

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it depends ion the mom. i eclusevely pump for 10- mts. but i had an oversupply for the first 8 mts. after taht my supply went downa ndthats why i stop. i pumped 6-8 times a day.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Yes, it can effect it. The pump is not as effective at removing milk as the baby is, so when you remove less milk you make less milk.

Things to do to fix it are to pump more often, try putting baby to the breast, stay well hydrated, eat a healthy diet and you can try fenugreek and oatmeal.

Getting baby back to the breast will be important if you want to continue to provide your child with breastmilk. Why do you have to exclusively pump?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Pumping in general is far less effective than baby on breast, so supply does tend to go down. When I pumped at work I could NOT keep up with my baby anymore... and I tried it all... But as a general rule, pump more often if you need more milk.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I pumped because my baby wouldn't suck enough. he would get a little and go to sleep. he didnt gain any weight until i started pumping. My production doubled the first month, but stayed there for 4 months and then slowed down after 7 months. I even tried reglan and motilium.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• if you want to exlusevely pump. get a good pump. pump often. drink lots of water. anyways if you need help just msg me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Research shows it can be harder for moms to maintain supply for extended periods of time when exclusively pumping. HOW you pump (as well as having a high quality pump) can make a big difference. Check out: Maximizing Milk Production with Hands On Pumping

You might consider upgrading to a hosital grade pump (rentals can run anywhere form $30-$75 per month) which is still WAY cheaper than formula!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Exclusively pumping doesnt not stimulate milk production the same as nursing does.

a) Have a good pump( preferably battery operate- and maintain a schedule

\B) Eat eat eat- dont cut back on your food- Plenty of water also

c) cluster pumping is also supposed to be effective- pump until you cant wait 10m or so do it again...

here is a useful link for EP-  http://www.exclusivelypumping.com/

RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 12:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• It can affect supply, but it really depends on the mom. I pumped for 13 months, but I noticed my supply decreasing around 10 months. I had a pretty strict pumping schedule set up for myself, especially once I went back to work. In order to keep up with my son, especially as he got older, I pretty much had to pump once for every time he ate, and I typically added a pump session to that so I could stock up. I also had a very good pump (Medela Pump in Style Advanced).
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010