Potty Training Anxiety!

Doesn't know what to do. Totally out of my element here. I wanted to put my 2 yr old in panties and just let things ride out over the weekend, maybe she would open up to me on when she went but she doesn't care and Daddy doesn't want accidents on his furniture and carpet. Whats the sense in putting panties on when you are going to put a diaper on over it?!

I need help... I am so stressed. I want her potty trained PRONTO!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Your post is a bit confusing, but let me see if I understand... you wanted to train her by moving her straight to underwear, which you have done... you want her to train quickly this way... but it's messier than you and especially your husband thought it would be? You will likely get a lot of responses to the tune of, "she clearly isn't ready, wait till she's ready"... "it's not about what YOU want, it's what SHE want." I don't fully agree with those. We trained our daughter at 19 months by ditching the diapers and moving straight to underwear. She wasn't "ready" by most standard definitions -- but this phenomenon of child-led potty training is a more recent phenomenon than people realize, and it's NOT the only effective way to do it (IMO it's not the most effective either, but people are entitled to disagree). It is messy. You need to be consistent. You need to drop everything for a few days and watch her closely. cont'd.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• ... move her to the potty each time she starts having an accident. We put our daughter in underwear and a shirt, no pants, so we could tell right away she was starting to go. You should offer lots of praise and maybe a small reward any time she actually finishes her accident on the potty. For us, we had about 20 accidents on day 1, about 10 on day 2, and 2-3 on day 3. Day 4 we were out and about (without a diaper or pull-up). It IS messy. But if you're consistent and if you don't make a big deal about it, your daughter should get what the potty is for very quickly. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't do panties. Try nothing on the bottom and rush her to the potty when she starts going (trust me she will catch on quick), that's what we did and tell your DH that there will be accidents there's no way around that! Get rid of diapers all together and she will catch on faster, you will only confuse her using both . Good luck!
    Anonymous