3.5 year olds telling big whopper lies? I am concerned!

My 3.5 year old niece has started telling ridiculous whopper lies. We were talking to her via Skype the other night and she informed us that "Maggie bites her" Ok, Maggie the dog is in love with her and has approximately 2 teeth in her head. Maggie is not biting her. Also, "Mommy takes her shoes off and hits me." My SIL Does have snakes-in-her-head but she is a good mommy.
What would you think of this? Niece being a Drama Queen? Something really going on?
Do children of this age do this?

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 1:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Totally normal, she is developing an imagination. Of course the parents should not encourage her to lie, but it's nothing serious and a lot of kids that age do it.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Normal normal normal normal and normal!lol Mine does the same thing and so did my oldest. It's just another annoying thing kids do that just take time to grow out of. Just like with hitting we continuosly let them know it's not okay, and why until they stop doing it and it's on to the next thing!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My son told the babysitter the dog got hit by a car,,, and died, total lie! Not to worry he had some major stories about everything, he just turned 5 and now knows what pretend stories are! Maybe they are destined to be writers, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My 3 year old is the best story teller..he told us his other dad lets him play with knives...? seriously I only know of one dad LOL. I hope he keeps his imagination, he would be one heck of a writer if he keeps going at the rate he is going....we do call him out on his stories but they really aren't a big deal and they really are nothing to worry about.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Imagination, it is that and mayb just the way she observeres somethings and but mostly just her imagination coming out.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my son is a big story teller too, hes 3 and he just blabs
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I work in a daycare and the other day "Billy" told me there's a new baby at his house. He told me it's a boy, showed me how big he is (like a normal newborn size, he showed me with his hands). Since I didn't think I missed his mom's pregnancy, I said, what's the baby's name? And he told me Billy, Jr, just like him. He said he only cries when he wants his bottle.

And another child told me that he got the boo-boo on his hand 40 years ago. I love these stories.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2010