How do you talk to your kids about drugs, when you used to do it too?

Any good resources would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm going to tell them I did them and the things I saw and experianced...and also that because I did them, they will not be able to hide it from me if they do them. Hopefully that will make them not want to do drugs.
    huniyxyz

Answer by huniyxyz at 1:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I plan on keeping the information light and only what is needed to get my point across until they are in high school. In middle school your exposed to everything that may become an issue later. Once they are in high school I will be way more open about the experiences I've had and why I did and didn't like my choices. I know I would have liked to not have been treated like I was clueless. And I think it's really important to be real about why drug use could be attractive. By that time they will have seen enough to know I know what I'm talking about.
    My girls do know I've had a less than perfect past and they are living through the aftermath. I was a young mom, they are watching me improve or life through hard, hard work and lots of determination. I tell them it would be different for us all if I had made better choices. It really helps that we have been through so really tough times because of my choices.
    Anonymous

• You tell the truth and what a HUGE mistake your behavior was. How bad it affected you. I don't believe in lying to children because it could come back to bite you in the butt later. Education is the best prevention. Kids need to know the consequences of things that they think are harmless. DId you know that by 14, there are many kids that already have drug and alcohol abuses? You can google, drug and alcohol prevention and education in kids and see what comes up. You can call your local police department, they may have some resources. the DARE program too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• You don't tell them you did drugs! Geesh!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 18, 2010