dd wakes up 3-4 times a night now. what would you do?

She's almost 3. Always slept through. She started fighting sleep at bedtime about a month ago... now we have bedtime under control, but she wakes up inconsolable. We've tried comforting her, I'm not sure if she's having bad dreams or what (she's not really talking as though that's the problem). It seems like all our measures to comfort her are just making the waking worse. It used to be 1-2 times, now a lot of times it's more. We can't have her in our bed... she shares a room with a little sister (close in age) and she has NEVER slept well in the same bed as us. Would you try controlled crying at this point? I'm not sure what else to do. We're not getting any sleep around her and I'm not feeling even slightly functional anymore; her either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Not trying to freak you out or anything here - but the first thing I would look at is the possibility that someone in her life may be mistreating her. If you can 100% rule that out the other possibility could be "night terrors". This is really something you should talk to your doctor about and serioiusly be pro-active here. He can help you find a solution that will help your daughter. The worst thing you can do is treat it as a phase and egnore it.
    1Katrina

Answer by 1Katrina at 1:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• the only things I could think of would be is she sick? Molars growing? How long are her naps during the day? Is she getting enough excersize during the day to wear her out? Try giving her some turkey or a turkey sandwhich before bed, it has natural sedatives that might help keep her asleep. If she doesn't have a night light, you could try one of those, change her sheets too in case it's and over-population of bed-bugs (I'm not saying you're dirty, they exist on all fabrics) Bring her to the store to get a bad dream catcher, like a stuffed animal or something. If none of those things work, just firmly tell her to go back to bed.
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 1:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• OP here: She's not being molested; She's with me or at school (a mother's-day-out program, good quality care) all the time. She has all her teeth; she is a little sick (with a cold) right now, but this predates the cold. She naps 3-4 times a week -- she's usually not insanely tired without a nap (she doesn't get one on school days because she doesn't fall asleep there), but she falls asleep easily enough that I still have her nap when she's home with me. I thought about night terrors but I've read up on it and I don't think it's that -- she's actually awake. I talked about it with her pediatrician because I was so freaked out about all this, and she said it was just behavioral, didn't really offer any advice. We've tried talking her through any fears, we've tried giving her a plan of what to do in the middle of the night... we go in and check on her, tuck her in and ask her to go back to bed. It's getting worse and worse..
    Anonymous

• I had this problem with my daughter til she was 3 1/2, What I figured out was that she just didn't need as much sleep as the other kids. So now, shes 4, she doesn't nap for more the 45 mins during the day (her daycare wakes her up if she does), she goes to bed at 9 (asleep by 9:30) and gets up at 6:50. She also doesn't get drinks (sippy cups, etc) while falling asleep, it made her have to pee at night which would wake her up. She went from waking up 4-5 times a night to waking up 0-1 times a night. Good luck!
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2010