dd wakes up 3-4 times a night now. what would you do? (piog)

She's almost 3. Always slept through. She started fighting sleep at bedtime about a month ago... now we have bedtime under control, but she wakes up inconsolable. We've tried comforting her, I'm not sure if she's having bad dreams or what (she's not really talking as though that's the problem). It seems like all our measures to comfort her are just making the waking worse. It used to be 1-2 times, now a lot of times it's more. We can't have her in our bed... she shares a room with a little sister (close in age) and she has NEVER slept well in the same bed as us. Would you try controlled crying at this point? I'm not sure what else to do. We're not getting any sleep around her and I'm not feeling even slightly functional anymore; her either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• OP here: She's not being molested; She's with me or at school (a mother's-day-out program, good quality care) all the time. She has all her teeth; she is a little sick (with a cold) right now, but this predates the cold. She naps 3-4 times a week -- she's usually not insanely tired without a nap (she doesn't get one on school days because she doesn't fall asleep there), but she falls asleep easily enough that I still have her nap when she's home with me. I thought about night terrors but I've read up on it and I don't think it's that -- she's actually awake. I talked about it with her pediatrician because I was so freaked out about all this, and she said it was just behavioral, didn't really offer any advice. We've tried talking her through any fears, we've tried giving her a plan of what to do in the middle of the night... we go in and check on her, tuck her in and ask her to go back to bed. It's getting worse and worse..
    Anonymous

• somethings up.. has anything changed? new home. new baby, her schedule.. anything at all?? what does she say or ask for when she gets up? one of my kids had night terrors the child would sit up screaming & it took 1/2 hour to calm her down. ALso the same child slept walked, later.. I would find her Eyes open I asked her what are you doing , but when I got zero response or something that made no sense I knew she was sleep walking.. even if you think she not being molested or hurt still teach her about good touch/bad touch.. Ask her to draw a pic one happy one sad.. then ask her to explain her pic..
    Are the kids in her school nice to her? personally because your not sure whats up I would allow her to sleep in your bed a few times, then tell her its time to go back into her room..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2010