Anyone ever use Abreva for a cold sore?

Does it work good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've used it, and yea it works really good. I get cold sores about once every 4 or 5 months and I always get the abreva. It costs a little more than the other things that you can get for them but it really is worth the extra money.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Yes, I have. It works extremely well if you catch the cold sore early. Then the cold sore doesn't get any bigger, and most of the time the total time of infection is shorten by 1 day.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Yes it works, but raisins work better. cheaper too.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Raisins?
    I've had it for 6 days now! I want it to be gone bu Monday!!!! Do you guys think it will be now that I'm using Abreeva? I just got it today....
    Anonymous

• I just over one this past week I noticed it right away and started to put "Abreva" on and omg it was clearing that day even though it took 3 days to completely dissappear. I would recommend "Abreva" Hey but whenever you get that tingle that means a stupid blister is trying to pop out ugh...I hate those things I get  em' like once or twice a year depends on my diet I guess...My mom would always say it time for a laxative she would say the inside of our tummy get too hot I don't know where she got this but it works too...lol

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Oh and it does help when you wash that area often like after eating, brushing your teeth or whenever you think about and put a dab on of Abreva and that will heal the process...GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• My DH uses it. If applied early, it stops a cold sore in it's tracks. It works great in that case.

If the cold sore is already fully developed, you are SOL.

I keep a tube on hand so it's there as soon as one starts to appear.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• If you catch it early, it's great. If you already have the cold sore - I'd recommend not using it. I'd had a cold sore for about 3 days once - and even though they are normally gone within a week, Abreva kept it "moist" and it took almost 3 weeks to fully disappear. Ugh.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Go to the Dr when you have a cold sore, they will give you a prescription for Zovirax (sp?). I took that like 10 years ago and never get full blown cold sores any more. I sometimes feel a tingle (when my lips are chapped) and use abreva and it goes away completly. No sore erupts. My DH has them bad. When his lips get dried out or when he is comming down with a cold, he can get 2-3 at once, but he never goes to the Dr (stubborn..lol).
    Anonymous