I know that there is the AP way of parenting...

...but are there any other ones that are 'named', so to speak? Like, "I'm a such and such parent"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are LOADS of "labels" for parenting styles: attachment, responsive, respectful, gentle, consensual, strict, democratic, slow, etc. All of them have their own markers that make them unique. There are also all the styles named for the books or philosophies that the techniques came from: 123 Magic, Unconditional Parenting, Mindful Parenting, Babywise, Playful Parenting, Montessori, Waldorf, Christian/Biblical, etc. In psychology, there are 4 main parenting styles: authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglectful. Most parents are some combination of these styles. And most of the "label" parenting styles are one person's interpretation of some specific combination of these 4 styles. Oh, and then there are the labels that are given to OTHER parents (usually by critics): helicopter parenting, hyper parenting, etc.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• ?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Uhhhh, what is AP? Too many letter here at CM...how about the entire word instead of just the letters?
    Anonymous

• I am a common sense parent. But as far as "brand" names- I have heard of Love an Logic parents, classic parents and old school parenting.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• I'm the type of parent that does what works and I take little bits of different parenting styles to make it my own unique parenting style. There are many different types of parenting styles. Usually they are classified as authoritarian, permissive, or authoritative.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• oo many letter here at CM...how about the entire word instead of just the letters?

This made me laugh.... using CM and then being bummed out because people use letters instead of the whole word! ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2010

• Sorry if I wasn't clear, lol. I'll try to rephrase the question. Are there any other types of parenting or styles of parenting that have a specific label? Like Attactment Parenting is a label for those who believe/follow the guidelines set by Dr. Sears, are there any other parenting styles that have specific guidelines/rules to follow? Or is AP the only one?
    Anonymous

• I was being sarcastic and wanted to illustrate how silly t is. CAfe Mom Moms are too easily ticked off, obviously. How about some WHOLE words,huh? Are they too hard to spell?
    Anonymous

• Babywise. I abhor it, but it is there.
    Anonymous

• ANON 218- from the looks of your answer, spelling is not your strong suit.
    Anonymous